Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my MUCC newsletter and it said they took a pole and a majority of people want to abandon the traditional nov 15th opener, to go to a saturday opener. I understand the desire to get more people involved and of course increase sales on everything but its Nov 15th. I'd be disappointed if they changed it. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Just got my MUCC newsletter and it said they took a pole and a majority of people want to abandon the traditional nov 15th opener, to go to a saturday opener. I understand the desire to get more people involved and of course increase sales on everything but its Nov 15th. I'd be disappointed if they changed it. What does everyone else think?
MUCC said that?! I wasn't aware they had taken a poll??

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
It's just a stupid day. Having the firearm season during the peak of the rut is retarded.

Moving it to the Saturday after thanksgiving would really benefit the deer heard. As stewards...thats what we all want anyways...unless you're not a real sportsman.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Leave it on the 15th.

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
My reasoning is completly personal.

I do my serious buck hunting during bow season and doe hunting/hanging at deer camp/and having a good time during gun season. Having the opener on a saturday each year allows me two days to drink too much, cuss, and take naps in the middle of the day. Things I don't get to do the rest of the year.

Bring on the weekend worriors.:evilsmile

This time of year is great, the hunting is not.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I hate that idea. I look years in advance on the calendar for the 15th and look forward to it more than any holiday. I also am highest in seniority amongst hunters at work and have no problems getting that date off. I love when less hunters make it out opening day not because less pressure since I hunt private but simply to see less bucks killed. We all know a majority of gun hunters shoot a lot of the small bucks on opening day. Plus those hunters will still make it out. It will just have to wait till the weekend when the deer are wised up and a bit more stealthy in their wandering around. I would love to see the DNR have an antlerless only gun season one year. Imagine the following years bucks! Everyone would be happy the following year. That will never happen though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Just sticking with something because of traditions sake is dumb....

...If you don't think so then just ask middle eastern women.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
change it...doesnt matter either way to me..If a wildlife study is done and shows that it is better to the health of our deer herd to change it then so be it..........

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Tradition:dizzy::dizzy: :lol:
EAS, youth season, late anterless season. crossbows in Oct...

I think tradition went out the door a while ago..

As much as I hate seeing Archery season end. I'm all for a Saturday opener.. 3 full weekends (I'd be happy with 2) of firearm hunting would be great for the weekend warriors, more people buying tags. Majority says we need more people in the woods.. Kids wont be missing school.... etc

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
change gun season, then end bow season 2 weeks before the start of gun season... I see alot of people on here that bow hunt and want to change gun season to a Saturday which is fine then end bow season 2 weeks before the opening day of gun. Yes I also bow hunt and like it. I also think bow season should not start until mid oct. I know most on here would said no way but thats my 2 cents...

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
change gun season, then end bow season 2 weeks before the start of gun season... I see alot of people on here that bow hunt and want to change gun season to a Saturday which is fine then end bow season 2 weeks before the opening day of gun. Yes I also bow hunt and like it. I also think bow season should not start until mid oct. I know most on here would said no way but thats my 2 cents...
Shawn, my guess is that you're completely unaware that we already have the shortest archery season in the midwest. Would I be right?

·
Registered
12,882 Posts

It's all about money. Shortening bow season out of spite becuase gun season may be affected won't have any positive effect on the bottom line. $$$

1 - 20 of 132 Posts