Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a meal that brought a smile and a tear to my eye... When Sally and I started dating 20+ years ago the first Sunday dinner she brought me to her folks for was Ham Balls... It was her favorite meal. Sal was a meat & tater with a glass of milk kinda girl.... Myself I'd never had Ham balls so much to her dismay I dubbed them "Pig Balls" She'd get so mad when I'd tell people we were having pig balls as she looked on with a hairy eyeball as I laughed.

When Sally would make "pig balls" I wasn't allowed in the kitchen but did see and hear some of the ingredients... It was something she learned from her mom, whom learned from her grandma.

I've been craving them... So I finally set out to make them based on what I saw and heard and found the closest recipe I could to make them.... Actually really paid attention as I wanted them to be right...

Some people use pineapple, she never did so I didn't... She finished hers in slow cooker, I only made a pound so I did not..

They're close real close, made them with Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Candied Carrots and Cornbread... A nice Sunday Dinner like she enjoyed.

The Lil Things let her memory live on.... ❤

Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Cuisine

· Premium Member
16,141 Posts
This is a meal that brought a smile and a tear to my eye... When Sally and I started dating 20+ years ago the first Sunday dinner she brought me to her folks for was Ham Balls... It was her favorite meal. Sal was a meat & tater with a glass of milk kinda girl.... Myself I'd never had Ham balls so much to her dismay I dubbed them "Pig Balls" She'd get so mad when I'd tell people we were having pig balls as she looked on with a hairy eyeball as I laughed.

When Sally would make "pig balls" I wasn't allowed in the kitchen but did see and hear some of the ingredients... It was something she learned from her mom, whom learned from her grandma.

I've been craving them... So I finally set out to make them based on what I saw and heard and found the closest recipe I could to make them.... Actually really paid attention as I wanted them to be right...

Some people use pineapple, she never did so I didn't... She finished hers in slow cooker, I only made a pound so I did not..

They're close real close, made them with Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Candied Carrots and Cornbread... A nice Sunday Dinner like she enjoyed.

View attachment 879802
That looks a whole lot better than the chicken tenders and tater tots I had. Great way to honor her memory.

· Registered
271 Posts

View attachment 879802
I gotta say I love this post. I say that because my mother passed from breast cancer when I was 8 years old, I'm 29 now. My father hasn't remarried, but he is happy being himself. I would be happy for him with whatever he chose to do, it seems like he loved my mother so much. I've found it something to admire over the years.

By the way it's look fantastic, I'm sure it tastes great too.

· Registered
464 Posts

View attachment 879802
That’s awesome, love it

· Registered
1,901 Posts

View attachment 879802
Yes they do!

I had the opposite of the mean mother-in-law. “Ruth” took over the day my own mother passed away. I was a stunned 24 year old guy and I’ll never forget her saying “Oh, Stubee!” as she gathered me in her arms. She remained great right up until her own death some 35 years later.

She served ham loaf at one dinner and I really liked it so she served it every year on my birthday. I’d never heard of ham loaf and always thought she whipped up a special recipe in her kitchen, but she actually bought it at a local butcher and just added a sweet sauce on top. Your post will probably get me driving to that butcher shop to see if they still offer it and if not I’ll figure out an alternative to serve up in her honor!

· Registered
14,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they do!

I had the opposite of the mean mother-in-law. “Ruth” took over the day my own mother passed away. I was a stunned 24 year old guy and I’ll never forget her saying “Oh, Stubee!” as she gathered me in her arms. She remained great right up until her own death some 35 years later.

She served ham loaf at one dinner and I really liked it so she served it every year on my birthday. I’d never heard of ham loaf and always thought she whipped up a special recipe in her kitchen, but she actually bought it at a local butcher and just added a sweet sauce on top. Your post will probably get me driving to that butcher shop to see if they still offer it and if not I’ll figure out an alternative to serve up in her honor!
That's a great feeling Stubee.... Mine was similar but different... My ex's folks, family, her friends all were not on board with our relationship in the beginning.... Reputation follows you in a small town...

I won her over after a while, like 5 years 😂 Then it was great, everyone else walked on eggshells around her, not me, my SA humor knew no boundaries.... Always quick witted but that's what she liked.... My ex would be like I can't understand why my mom loves you like she does.... When my mom passed same thing her father and mom said you'll always have parents.....There some of the best people I have had the privilege to be around....

When my ex and I partied ways I kept my distance.... My ex was fighting for her life in Ann arbor and my phone rang, it was her mom, nervously answered and she broke it too me she didn't have long.... I thanked her and what she said has stuck with me "Nobody knew or was as close to my daughter as you were, I wanted to tell you before anyone else"....

I saw her at the funeral of course and ran into her a while ago.... She's like why don't you ever call, stop over.... I vowed too and I think about it alot.... I will it's just hard...

· Registered
2,316 Posts

View attachment 879802
Nice!
My mother in law passed away a couple years ago. It was a slow spiral down. On her good days my wife and sister in law would cook her favorite dishes as she directed the process from her recliner/death bed.
So many feelings and memories when we cook them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts