Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am sorry but i don't think there is ever been a really nice spike horn. for the second year in a row the guys who own the property next to us have broke it off up our you know what. last year we let spikes go by all fall while bow hunting. the guys next to us shot four. i talked to them and this year they said no spikes, right. just talked to a friend of mine that said he stopped by their house and they shot two "really nice" spike horns. i am so mad i am thinking about going and buying doe tags for the next week then shooting every deer i see over thanksgiving weekend and filling up a trailer full of deer. i am so fed up with michigan deer killers. not hunters, but guys that have to shoot any buck to prove that they are a man.

red light, red light.

breath deep and think of iowa, kansas and canada.

just need to vent i guess.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Is it a fact that a spike will ever be more than a spike?

If hunting on heavily trafficed public land they are going to be shot anyway, so I might as well use my tag and eat them.

Not trying to start an argument, just my opinion, but for some hunters it doesn't take a "trophy" to deem a good hunt. A spike is a "trophy" to many people.

Sounds like you are on private land and are trying to manage for trophys-well within your rights. It is also within hunters rights to legally take spikes, if they choose. If it bothers you that much about your neighbors don't ask them what they shot.

As I mentioned before, just my opinion as a hunter, we've all got one.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Originally posted by live2fishdjs
Is it a fact that a spike will ever be more than a spike?
No its not a fact, its an old, old tale that just needs to go away.

The fact that the neighbors went back on their word just shows you there character. You can't control it Ed, so don't get to worked up about it. More important things in life. If you haven't already, see if you can get the rest of the neighbors to buy into what your trying to do and then let peer pressure work for ya.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Until some people get with their legislator and get the "law" changed, like it or not spikes are not on the "do not shoot" list. Personally I've let my share of them go. But then again, I've shot my share also. Doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks about my manly hood. What I choose to fill my tags with are my choice. I let nobody pressure me into doing what they think is best. Years ago it was taboo to shoot does, now look at it. The state has liberal laws so more can be shot. And you still have those that want nothing do do with shooting one. If the state thought not shooting "spikes" was better for the herd they would change the law.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought I shot a nice spike on opening morning. Ended up a three point (spike with one brow tine). First buck in two years, proud to say the least, seeing as I'm a new father and haven't had much time to hunt. As for Iowa, awesome, if you get drawn, been there done that. Now if you don't get drawn, go to Missouri and hunt the state line, get a Missouri tag over the counter and go to Iowa. Don't want to open a whole new can of worms, but I know how some of those operations go over there. Just like Michigan a few years back. Four buck tags a year, people filling there wives tags, unlimited doe tags, if its brown its down. I feel lucky just to see a buck in Michigan!!!!!! my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Maybe peer pressure wasn't the correct wording. Usually if the neighbors are holding off on the spikes etc, they start to shoot a few nice bucks and the other neighbors start to think, " hey, maybe they are on to something over there? Maybe I should think about this a bit" That's typicaly how it begins....and unless you get really lucky, you are going to have to pass on the small bucks if you want to shoot a big one. The guys on this site shooting nice deer have almost all passed on smaller bucks. If all you want is a small buck, have at it, I won't critize anyone for their choice, it's ll about enjoying the hunt. But if you want to shoot a big one (don't we all really?) then you have to make some adjustments in your hunting.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
now see after reading a reply like swamp monster's i can agree with that statement, but to berate a guy for shooting a small buck is a joke. not everyone gets to spend everynight in the woods. most only get the weekends if they are lucky.

i want to shoot a big buck, but you better believe that i will put meat on the table for my wife and kids before i pass on to many deer. i dont go out with the intention of shooting everything i see, i have passed on many deer, but i always say the trophy will come after the table is set.

i understand what qdm is, and what it is supposed to do, but dont agree with being lumped into a group that was mentioned in the first post.

·
666 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts. Does taste as good as bucks and most areas from the middle of the state south have plenty of antlerless licenses available. And if you choose to shoot a younger buck because you're afraid your neighbor may shoot him, you're probably hunting for the wrong reason.

I can understand your frustration when no one around you is signing-up for your deer management/hunting objectives. However, I feel we're still accomplishing something even if my neighbors may choose to shoot young bucks we pass on. We had 4 hunters in our hunting party on the opener who passed on 5 different young bucks. One of them was a nice seven point that three of us got to see and pass on. And one hunting partner saw him a second time in the PM and shortly thereafter he was killed on our neighbors. There still was a lot of enjoyment with the multiple sightings by our hunting party. We would have preferred that buck walk for at least another year but it wasn't to be. And as mentioned above, it's not good losing much sleep on the things that we can't control.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I agree with the spike thinking but also you can't manage it if nobody will buy into your idea. we let the small spikes go buy also, but they walk 500yds away onto state ground and there done for ! I have let spikes go buy and within 5 minutes there's shooting. So whats the sense of me passing on them ask's my uncle? I say well just maybe they will miss and maybe he'll turn and lay down for the day and make it til next year. At least I gave him a chance.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have killed my share of pretty big bucks over the last 46 years. Horns are not an obsesion to me and never really have been. Now I am interested in good eating and I can't eat the horns. I sure am not going to turn down a good eating spike buck.

Now go ahead and tell me I should be shooting off my does if I want good eating. In western oceana county the deer herd has been taking it on the chin for years. We don't need doe permits as we have fruit farmers. They took care of our deer herd with block permits years ago.

B

·
0 Posts
I love the comments from anti-QDM hunters that go something like this: 'Who are you to tell me I can't shoot small bucks? All I'm doing is hunting to put meat on the table for my family. And don't you dare tell me not to shoot does because those need to be protected.'

Don't you see the hypocracy in that statement?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I agree with Ed. The term "really nice spike horn" is an oxymoron. Hint - try a Webster's if you dont get it.

Natty B.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
BUT - I would REALLY really like to know how many people are DEPENDANT I mean really, Like my family IS GOING HUNGRY if I don't shoot a deer??????? I call Bull - doo doo - If you family is damn hungry that you HAVE to deer hunt to feed them - then you should think about selling all your hunting supplies, save the gas money and ammo cash and all the expense that goes with hunting and go to the grocery store !!!

Really, I don't know of anyone that would argue, that if you truly were hungry, your and your family, that you can harvest anything you want to - if its the only way your going to keep your family from dieing !!!!

But what is the reality of the situtation? The fact that you have computer access and internet access etc etc etc shows your not starving and likely nor is your family so STOP IT !!!

That is the laimest BS for killing brown its down I've ever heard.

ferg...
:mad:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I agree Ferg, alot of guys could buy a side of beef with what they spend on deer hunting. It's just alot of excuses. It's the Michigan mentality that if I don't shoot it someone else will that we have to get past. Also I would argue that most guys who shoot any little buck that comes along don't consider their hunt successful unless they can boast about their "huge" four point to their buddies. I get a kick out of how many times guys say " I saw thirty does and one six point so I shot him. Man the buck to doe ratio is out of wack around here."

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am not saying that anyone that kills a spike horn buck is a bad person or not as good a hunter. i shot one when i was 14, my brother has shot one and my dad took his first buck with a bow a few years ago that was a spike.
people should respect any deer they shoot be it a fawn with spots or a spike.
but do not tell me you are going to pass on them then turn around and shoot two after i have told everyone else that you are passing them up. now i look like i am lying.
when i have freinds who pay for non res. licenses and pass the spikes up because we "all" agreed to do so, is that right.

also someone mention that they don't have all season to hunt. join the crowd. i have hunted 4, 2 to 3 hour hunts during bow season and i get opening day and half of the second day plus thanksgiving morning to hunt. i might get a evening or two at most that i can sneak out this year.

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
If the state thought not shooting "spikes" was better for the herd they would change the law.
I strongly disagree.......I think it has been proven that our deer aren't managed for their own benefit. Deer are managed, to a large scale, politically in Michigan. These influences include the Farm Bureau, Insurance lobby, license revenue, & hunter/public opinion.

Neal

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Neal
I strongly disagree.......I think it has been proven that our deer aren't managed their own benefit. Deer are managed, to a large scale, politically in Michigan. These influences include the Farm Bureau, Insurance lobby, license revenue, & hunter/public opinion.

Neal
I agree!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yepper hunters opinion the last item:mad: Yep that about sums it up:rolleyes: :eek: ..........marty:D

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Ed I know how you feel. We tried to let some does go only to get blasted by the first guys who wanted to save a couple:mad: . We tried 6 or better for two years just to see and it gets me about these nice spikes. Yep they're nice but let's try to repair what's left of our deer herd:eek: As I said before hunting is getting to be big lands rule period. Sad but true.......marty:mad:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
east bay, yes i do agree that if all in the area agree not to shoot a buck or small doe or whatever then that should be adhered to. but at the same time, how many in the area that you hunt are actually doing the qdm. if everyone is great, but you cant knock the guys if they arent interested in qdm, or didnt agree with the intent of what you and your group are trying to do. i hope if i was to ever happen to hunt close to you that you wouldnt be upset with me for shooting a spike if we never agreed that we would pass on one. i can understand being disappointed at a lost opportunity, but i cant see being upset with an individual over something like this. maybe i am not seeing along the same lines, but this is what i feel about it.

ferg, if it is any of your business. no i cant always afford to put meat on my table from the grocery store. i live paycheck to paycheck like most who count on hunting/fishing seasons to put food on their tables. i dont spend alot on hunting seasons. most of my equipment is hand me downs from my dad and my grandfather and uncles. i hunt out of stands that they put up, i use one of my dads or my grandfathers old guns. i pay for the license that i use to shoot whatever it is that i want to no matter how big or how small. never in any of my previous posts did i put anything in there about it being brown and its down. i dont shoot every deer i see, i try not to shoot small ones, i practice what i believe. if you really think about it how much beef will i be able to buy if i dont buy a 27$ license and a 7$ doe permit? not very much, especially with the price of beef now a days. i did not say that my family was starving, but i would rather have a freezer full of venison and be able to save the money that i would be spending on beef if not for that fact.

like i have said before, i dont think there is a hunter in michigan or anywhere that wouldnt rather shoot a big buck. but in some areas you have to take what comes along if you want it. if not that is up to you, but dont look down on others for doing what you dont believe in. i am a christian and work with guys that dont agree with nor believe in any form of church. i dont look down on them because they dont believe in what i do. i treat them as equals and try to drop subtle hints when appropriate, but i dont lump them into the godless, no moral group of society because of their beliefs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.