Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to harvest a deer with all homemade archery equipment. Last year I up'd the challenge a bit and began my quest to do it with aaa Homemade gear. Back in 1988, I made an English longbow with a walnut riser, leather grip and a flemish string, I made string silencers from a tanned raccoon tail. It is tillered to be 45 pounds at 28 inches.

The bow case, I sewed from a piece of denim.

The arrows are cedar. I crested them and fletched them with the feathers from a turkey I shot.

I made my broadheads from field points and band saw blade material.

I used leather to make a finger tab, arm guard and field quiver. I decorated them with leather tooling, antler buttons and bear claws.

My camo is homemade (my son is modeling)

I made my own portable climbing stand and ladder stand.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I made the safety harness from seat belt material and metal buckles. (and I tested it)

The hunting knife is made from an old sawsall blade and a deer antler with deer rawhide.

I get the rawhide from working the hides of the deer I shoot.

I practice into a homemade target.

I made a homemade Tipi that I use on camping hunts

If I am successful, I will turn my deer into homemade sausage and jerky.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
That makes the antlerless tag I once filled from off my back porch seem pretty lame. :lol:
Nice work!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Best of luck Rancid on taking a deer with all homemade gear.

BTW, where is the pic of you hanging from the harness, testing it out? ^in high squeeky voice^

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best of luck Rancid on taking a deer with all homemade gear.

BTW, where is the pic of you hanging from the harness, testing it out? ^in high squeeky voice^
I don't think we need to to bring out that picture. That was not a very flattering image. I sure hope I nemver have to use that thing. :tdo12::yikes::xzicon_sm

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
HArdcore to the max. I admire that.

Best of luck. Through your dedication here I can tell you will succeed!

Skinner

·
Registered
107 Posts
I surely hope all your hardwork is answered.

You my man are truely a "traditionalist", and avid sportsmen.

Best of Luck, and shoot straight.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very cool! I wish I had the time or the skill to do any of those things. Good job.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Like everyone else says great job, there's alot of hard work and time invested in all of it.
Very best of luck to you, somehow I think luck is going to play a very small part and it will be more knowledge and experience that will prove you succesful.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Very Cool - Best of luck on your quest. One of my most memorable hunts was taking a nice buck with my first osage selfbow and homade arrow shaft with a stone point I made. If I had pics here at work I would load them up. Good times

Bob Urban

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Very cool, thanks for sharing and best wishes for your hunt! I can't wait for that thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts