Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad (TODDFATHER) and I have been discussing flies and hook sizes alot lately and we were curious as to where peoples success lies. I have a feeling there is a lot of similarity here but I'd like to check. I'd like to ask everyone 3 simple questions, although the first one might be a challenge for a few of the grizzled veterns to remember (Oh I'm gonna get in trouble for that one. :D ).

1. What was the fly and hook size that caught your first trout?

2. What is your single most productive fly pattern?

3. What is your most productive hook size regardless of pattern?

When you post your answers post the replies to all three questions first then any additional comments afterward. That will make it easy for people to follow the replies.

I'm looking forward to your replies.

Toddson

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. 14 Adams
2. Pheasant Tail Nymph
3. 14

That said in my book I could not enter a stream without Adams or Pheasant Tail Nymphs in quantity. This year I'm eager to see if the Hare's Ear will take over for the Pheasant Tail.

·
Registered
781 Posts
American Pheasant tail- the one with the legs #12
Griffith's Gnat #20

·
Registered
710 Posts
Bucktail streamer a big one I can't remember the size it was so long ago but I think it was about 8-10

With a Hare Ear Nymph size 14 (trout beware)

size 14

OSD.

·
Registered
355 Posts
1- A gold flashabou ( streamer tied by Fred Snook....owns Alphorn Shop) size 8

2- For stream trout.... A toss up between an Exam & Impala.... again 2 more patterns from Mr Snook!

3- 12

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
1. What was the fly and hook size that caught your first trout?

#14 soft hackle that was caught in the current downstream of me as I was untangling fly line from all over my head and body.

2. What is your single most productive fly pattern?

#14 Adams on top, soft hackles just under the surface and egg patterns subsurface. If I had to settle for one it would be the Adams.

3. What is your most productive hook size regardless of pattern?

·
Registered
299 Posts
1. size 14 bwo wet

2. size 16 bh pheasant tail

3. size 14

my first trout was caught not paying attention dragging below me nice little surprise when lifting to cast.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ist Blood: Unsure! Best guess would be Badger Bivisible #14

Most Productive: Girffith's Gnat #18

Most Productive Hook Size: #14, Possibly #16

Toddfather

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
#1 probably a size 12 Para Adams
#2 dry- adams, nymph- Hares ear, Streamer- Zoo Cougar
#3 dry and nymph - size 12, Streamer - size 2

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
1. Size 18 Black Ant
2. Beadhead Hare's Ear Nymph
3. Size 14

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That one took some thinking

1. #10 Royal Coachman

2. #12 Parachute adams

3. #12 94840 in

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
#1 Hares ear

#2 roberts drake is probably my single most productive fly

#3 size 16 catches more fish when counted up with the dozen or so patterns that are tied on this size.

Seems like most everyone went with a size 14 for most productive....taking out 4-7 inch brookies and steelhead smolt. my true size that produces most of my larger trout falls between a 12 and a 4. there are exceptions like when the henny's are falling a size 14 spinner brings swine to the top. but try to pull a 15+ inch brown to the top with a size 14 during a brown drake spinnerfall....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
#1 #6 streamer

#2 # 4 wooly bugger

#3 # 4 long shank

I don't know how you guys have confidence in those little flies. I want something that I can make the fish react to. My first trout on a fly was on a very simple streamer that I tied up to resemble a shiner. I want a 8wt rod now because I have stuff tied up my 5wt. can't handle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts