Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone here in the general forum!

sorry to say that I don't usually cruise this forum, opting to dive right into my #1 obsession of Waterfowling.

But I did just want to pass on a little note of thanks and maybe a hope that someone from this forum might just know one these individuals or their families.

short background: my brother inlaw (SSGT Paul Maas) was critically injured with a head wound in a fire fight, west of baghdad. I'm writing this note from my room in washington, DC at Walter Reed Army Hospital where he is being treated for those injuries.

Last night, they delivered a red cross package of "goodies" for Paul and inside the package was "get well soldier" letters from....
Holy Family School in Grand Blanc Michigan!

so if you know a Allen Conner in Kindergarten there, tell him thanks for the crayon drawing! it adorns Pauls wall.

or Sarah Amos, Mattie, Ian Heslinger and Harold... all from grand blanc tell them or their families that he appreciates those hand made cards! (and wanted to look at each one with his good eye.)

it was probably a silly little thing that they had to do one day in class, but I have to tell you that is really touched our hearts and Paul asked me to say thanks.

so again, if anyone knows these youngsters or their families, tell them that what they did that day is helping to heal a Boy that is in bad shape but appreciates everything they've done very much.

Thanks to all for their thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
How is Paul coming along?
Wish him a speedy recovery for us here as well.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info.

Since I live about a 1/2 hour from Grand Blanc, I think I'll stop in there and thank the kids myself.

Last night was bad - lots of bad dreams and hallucinations, so I slept in the room with him.

Trout-
He gets better physically everyday (these guys are the best of the best I'm told), but now I think the "psychological" trauma is coming to the surface.

this morning, he was visibly upset that he got "touched" . kept saying he screwed up, that he shouldn't be here.

Dad came into the room at that time and tried to say something to make him feel better, but said the wrong thing.

he mentioned that Paul will get a Medal.

He was very mad and mumbled back... won't wear it. it's their (iraqi's) medal (purple heart). means they got me. the 2nd worst medal (POW being the worst). - did I mention he is one "hoo-ah" trooper?!

the only thing I could think of to say was. "Paul, if you didn't do your job right and if they were any good, you and your crew (Bradley crew) wouldn't be here. You'd be dead."

don't know if that was the right thing, but it seem to be enough for now.

As we all worry about Pauls future physical capabilities, he worries about letting his troop down.

crazy.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Branta,

Please tell your brother that there is an ex-GI in Eastpointe that thanks him for his efforts and dedication, and that I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts