Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im thinking of driving the 1.5 to fish the sang. For the first time. What do you guys use to fish with? Could I use my 4' ultralite rod with 4 or 6 lb test? Should I pick up jigging rapulas? swedish pimples? Should I use stinger hooks? How deep of water should i look for? I dont want any hot spots i just want to make sure i got the right equipment. Thanks for any info you can share.

·
Registered
162 Posts
First off before you start worrying about a rod, make sure you have a spud for the river, been fishing it since 92 , 4' rod will work, it will take a while to get used to it. Go with 6-8 lb line, never know what's gonna grab on. Jigging raps and jig heads work great out here, blue and silver,black and gold chartreuse and white are great. But most of all don't go on the ice where there aren't anybody there, there is a reason for it, a lot of outlets into that river, try independence bridge, always people there. And if you don't have someone to go with shoot me a message tomorrow and let me know what day you are thinking, will be out all weekend, won't promise fish but safety in numbers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ultralite is pretty flimsy, but you could make it work is you had to. Any walleye near keeper size is going to tie it in knots on you though. Had a friend use one a few years ago, and he was able to catch and land fish.. but it looked like he was setting the hook on a whale since it lacked any backbone. I keep one rigged up with a perch rig just in case I run into a school of them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was just thinking about making a thread like this. Like original poster said not looking for spots just tactics and gear usually used up there successfully. Thanks for info can't wait to get up there and fish that river!

·
Registered
82 Posts
firetiger and clown raps size 5 or 7 depending on current work pretty good also. Medium rod or some have even said medium heavy just in case you hook the lunker. I bought a couple 13 fishing wicked rods 28" medium with sienna 1000 reel and really liking the setup.

·
Registered
664 Posts
#5 jigging raps and 1/4-3/8 oz jigs catch a lot of fish. Also 1/4 oz buckshot spoons. If the current is light, I fish a do-jigger. I would try to get another rod,medium action and 6-8 lb braid. You don't have to jig really aggressively, and make sure put in some pauses. That's usually when you get a bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
664 Posts
Also stay mobile but like others said, use a spud wherever you go. Shallower water and channel edges may hold nicer fish. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
#5 jigging raps and 1/4-3/8 oz jigs catch a lot of fish. Also 1/4 oz buckshot spoons catch a lot of fish. If the current is light, I fish a do-jigger. I would try to get another rod,medium action and 6-8 lb braid. You don't have to jig really aggressively, and make sure put in some pauses. That's usually when you get a bite.

All this....
Blue chrome raps
Chartreuse and fire tiger jigs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gee thanks guys...and I never leave home without my spud.
The plan is we will just get off at the z bridge and wing it from there. Drive the river and see where the crowds are and wriggle are way in..hopefully ill have a good report for yall.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I started with a green/glow buckshot and a clown rap. Wasn.t gettin much, switched to a blue/chrome rap and my favorite white jig head, the white out fished the rap big time again, fish seemed sluggish, but that jig head always does good for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started with a green/glow buckshot and a clown rap. Wasn.t gettin much, switched to a blue/chrome rap and my favorite white jig head, the white out fished the rap big time again, fish seemed sluggish, but that jig head always does good for me.

Now how big of heads do you use? Tip with a twister tail and a minno?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Was out Tuesday, raps were dead for me with no hits. Switched to a larger size buckshot spoon and started catching fish. Unfortunately they were all 14.5". Current was ripping fast.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi Bill, me and the kid haven't hit the river yet, but I have been scanning the posts for a good year to get an idea as to whats going on. People on this site seem to very friendly and helpful, specially towards someone new to fishing the river. Most have said that any of the popular spots just hang out and wait for someone that is going out and tell them its your 1st time on the river and most of the time the people will let you join them. There are more than enough fish to go around.

From what I have read there are some spots on the river that are known for thin ice. Like someone all ready pointed out, kinda hang with the crowd, if there is a spot no one is fishing there is probably a reason why.

As far as lures have read a lot a chrome/blue jigging rap if its sunny, #5 if current is light and #7 if current is moving good. Clown and fire tiger come up a lot too. Jig heads usually white 1/4oz for starters, many times tipped with a minnow, sure some plastic would work too.

As far as spots and how to get there, I believe there is a sticky at the top of the page with a map of parking spots and bait stores, etc. This weekend should be kinda like "first ice" I am sure there will be many people up there. Most use a flasher or graph of some kind to help them catch fish. Odds are you will catch many "shorts" for each keeper you manage to catch.

Like everyone has said spud in front of you. Hope you catch some fish and are able to bring a few home too..........

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
I'm heading out Sunday for sure, and maybe Saturday. Anyone who wants to tag along, drop a pm:) can't guarantee fish, but will show you what I can, and try to answer questions. No expert by no means, but live right here and know some safer spots I can show you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Im not goin out this weekend but i live right here also i know a few spots.. But im always up to fishin with others i go by myself 90% of the time ill be hittin it nxt week so if ya wanta meet up and fish together shot me a pm and we can setup a time and place.... David....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Ralph where u gunna be I'll be out in morning for sure!!!!! Been waiting all week reading reports its been a long week lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 17 of 17 Posts