Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading all the talk about better boats for the bay and such lately. A nice Lund has been on my wish list for quite some time and I am close to making the deal on a new fishing boat. Noticed a few guys suggested closed bow boats. Anyone know of a good brand that is also somewhat easier to trailer around the state? As nice as a 26' or 28' sounds it is a little out of the price range, and seems like a pain in the butt to trailer.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Open bow boats such as the lund fisherman can be fitted with a bow cover for bigger water. Hewescraft, that is sold by calumet marine, has a self bailing bow. There are some smaller closed bow boats but they seem to be limited to the pacific nothwest. Arima is a boat that comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
a lund is a great boat but u do pay a little extra for the name on the side. i am a starcraft guy myself just my opinion

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
We fished the WFW event from a 21 foot 4Winns. Great boat, handles the bigger waves real good, plenty of room, heavy as a tank and THIRSTY! (V8) As much as I fish, I could never afford to run a boat that size.
I have no reservations about taking my 19.5 foot aluminum open bow boat anywhere on the bay -weather permitting- If it gets to the point where I start feeling unsafe in my boat, it quit being fun a while ago. Pick your days and don't take chances. I have the internet in my pocket. I can, and do check the weather and radar from the boat. Depending on how far out I run, I can make 3 to 5 trips out on one 40 gallon tank. We burned over 30 gallons last Saturday - and the WFW event wasn't til Sunday! Bigger boats are safer, but keep in mind they are exponentially more expensive to run. A boat sitting on a trailer because its owner can't justify filling the tank up AGAIN is one of the safest boats around. :lol: CDAD

·
Premium Member
29,844 Posts
I've always wanted a closed bow for the comfort of keeping out of weather and taking waves if need be. But I will say one thing, I fished with "baybum" from the site here who has an older,wide,18 1/2' thomson open bow, fiberglass, and I felt as safe as I do in all the 22' boats I've been in. Just a nice top to keep weather off you, and your good to go. That boat really amazed me for its size as to how well it rode in 3-4 footers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I Just went through this when i bought my new boat what to do ?
1#The Bigger the boat the bigger the towing rig 2# The bigger the cost 3#the higher cost associated with fishing trips if your not going to keep it in the water and trailer it every trip !which is what most do .Personally speaking you cant go wrong with a lund which is what i bought 1825 rebel xl sport w/115 4 stroke merc .And let me tell you i have no complaints and have weathered some pretty rough water this year all ready . from past experience i ordered the top and cover when i bought the boat from the dealer for best fit! also in my opinion you get what you pay for you want quality your going to pay for it ! Look at the warranty Lund offers on there components Lifetime replacement on all wood carpeted or vynal panels and floor as well as the hull and other components how can you go wrong 4 months with my new Lund and well over 50 hrs on the bay and no complaints other than the wife wont let me fish for a living

·
Registered
84 Posts
I fished the walleye for warriors on Sunday I caught the biggest fish and ran out a long ways. I didn't see any starcrafts or lunds or any other boats out where I was at. We didn't get any waves in the boat just the rain. I made this run in a 621 Ranger 250 Yamaha.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I ran into the same problem when i was looking for a boat what to buy.
All i can say is if you do a lot of fishing buy a boat with a four stroke motor.
I was going to buy a lund when i was looking but hard to find.As soon as the go on the market they are gone. I bought a 17/8 polarkraft with a yamha 115 four stroke and love it. I think the boat is as great as a lund and alot less $. Boat takes waves great and is wide with alot of room. I fish the bay and troll for about 8 hrs on 6 gallons of gas:yikes:
but that is my 2 cents

·
Registered
60 Posts
Make sure you do your research before you fall into the four stroke craze . They are very heavy and underpowered when you need them most when you are getting on plane. I just swapped out my yamaha 115 four stroke because of that reason. I went with a 200 hpdi, same weight as the 115 doesn't use much more fuel either. Just unreal two stroke power !!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
29,844 Posts
Make sure you do your research before you fall into the four stroke craze . They are very heavy and underpowered when you need them most when you are getting on plane. I just swapped out my yamaha 115 four stroke because of that reason. I went with a 200 hpdi, same weight as the 115 doesn't use much more fuel either. Just unreal two stroke power !!

I've been reading some stuff, and I think your right. I think the 4 strokes have their place as a kicker, but as for a main motor of any size, 2 stroke is the way to go.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you salmon fish, go closed bow. Might as well get something big enough to sleep in, 22 (pending the cuddy layout or 23) and you dont necessarily have to be in the water to sleep on it (when taking trips). Saves some money for weekend trips, handles the rough water good, and still trailer good. Shop around and you can find some reasonable deals in the same price range as lunds.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Just remember even if you decide on open bow you can always have a custom snap on cover installed they work great on the bay we ran one for years. I agree for salmon fishing on west i would for sure have closed bow.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
or you could just be a BAMF like me and head out in your 12ft tin can...take 4 footers head on with the pedal to the floor! you wanna talk about a "rush"! LMFAO :yikes::dizzy::dizzy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts