Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up 6 nice walleye and and some bonus perch all off inline boards B.B. and harnesses. 28-31 FOW. Surface temps were in the mid 70s. We started in 2 footers that quickly built to 3s and 4s, then laid back down when we were about to leave. Drifting was our best bet today. I had a youngster onboard that reeled in most of the fish, and two newbies to inline boards. I spent a lot of time with tangled lines, and not being able to pay attention to the ones that were in. I probably will not fish the bay again until Sept. I hope to make a couple of trips to Manistee in the coming weeks. No Home Runs today just a couple of base hits. I just had to hit it one more time. Gotta Luv the Saginaw Bay.
Time to start thinking deep on the outer bay.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I guess we all have off days. At least you didn't get skunked, and I'm sure you still had fun. Good luck on the west side. Heard things are really taking off....

·
Registered
815 Posts
I went out today 08/07 by myself. A little tough to run the boat alone. Wound up with 2 and lost one at the boat. Fished from 7:30- 11:20 am. between the first plug and the black hole 21' fow 45' back with spinners. Headed to Manistee for the king soon.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Frank give me a shout when your heading up to Manistee. We are also planning a trip real soon .

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
My dad lives in AuGre and him and a buddy were out at the little Charity Wednesday in 7ft. they got a two man ticket . I am headed to Manistee Saturday for a whole week of salmon slammin, then when we get back I am going to start targeting the yellow bellies.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
How do you like your Islander? I might be getting me one in a trade for my Ranger Bas Boat. I am fishing for walleyes more now then Bass. I only had my Ranger out 2 times this year and maybe 10 times for bass in the last 5 years so I might as well get me something that I can fish the bay for walleyes in that can handle the waver better then my son's 1660 Lund. While I'm looking this Islander over, it's a 1984, 22foot, what should I be looking for in defects? Anything? Anything I should know about the Islander's, good or bad, that can help me make up my mind? This boat has something like 750 hours on it and suppose to have been taken care of. I will be looking at it this week-end, maybe today. Thanks for any info you can give.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How do you like your Islander? I might be getting me one in a trade for my Ranger Bas Boat. I am fishing for walleyes more now then Bass. I only had my Ranger out 2 times this year and maybe 10 times for bass in the last 5 years so I might as well get me something that I can fish the bay for walleyes in that can handle the waver better then my son's 1660 Lund. While I'm looking this Islander over, it's a 1984, 22foot, what should I be looking for in defects? Anything? Anything I should know about the Islander's, good or bad, that can help me make up my mind? This boat has something like 750 hours on it and suppose to have been taken care of. I will be looking at it this week-end, maybe today. Thanks for any info you can give.
I have an 22ft islander slowpoke and i love it...just look for loose rivets(leaking)its a common problem with aluminum boats...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing on the older Islander, some of the 4 cyl engines can be troublesome. The GM 140 4cyl is a very good engine. The bigger block 4 cylinders had lots of problems. The Mercruiser Outdrives are more dependable than the OMCs, and parts are more available. The Islanders are good fishing boats.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Thanks Tacklebox. I didn't know you were in a Islander.
Son said when they got done they pulled the drain plug and not a drop of water.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Another thing on the older Islander, some of the 4 cyl engines can be troublesome. The GM 140 4cyl is a very good engine. The bigger block 4 cylinders had lots of problems. The Mercruiser Outdrives are more dependable than the OMCs, and parts are more available. The Islanders are good fishing boats.
Guess I'm still OK. It has the 140 4 cyl. Owner says there is not a drop of oil in the engine compartment and it looks like it came from the factory.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Jim do the trade! I as well am the owner of a 1984 Islander "See my Pic's" and i love it. Mine has the bigger 4 cyl motor that i had rebuilt, purrs like a kitten. Only problem i had was with stator going bad. I put an alternator on it and it was good to go. You will love it . Dave a.k.a. SLAYER :fish:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts