Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we are under a month away from the upcoming season. i bought a new bow and have been short on money for a while. got layed off for a couple weeks and had some traffic fines to pay. well anyways i have not had the money to get any arrows or broadheads or anything yet. I have never shot this bow so im a little scared about being ready in time. any one else got any thing that they are worried about this year.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Hey Spool,

How are you set for accessories? I have a couple of sights and rests sitting around that I'd be willing to give to someone who could use them.

PM me if you want.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
so we are under a month away from the upcoming season. i bought a new bow and have been short on money for a while. got layed off for a couple weeks and had some traffic fines to pay. well anyways i have not had the money to get any arrows or broadheads or anything yet. I have never shot this bow so im a little scared about being ready in time. any one else got any thing that they are worried about this year.
i'd pass on bowhunting this year. practice in the off season, and hunt next year.

a few weeks, for someone who has never shot a bow, is simply not enough time to get ready.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
RZ, that's the best advice I've heard.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I think he's shot a bow before just not this particular bow.

Get it set up and shoot it a few time see how comfortable it is for you, and stay within your comfort range. I just picked up a new bow myself. I'm more confident with my new Bowtech bow than I was with my old bow and have onle been throught 4 or 5 shooting sessions. I rarely shoot past 20 yds and never past 30. Thats just where i'm comfortable.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i'd pass on bowhunting this year. practice in the off season, and hunt next year.

a few weeks, for someone who has never shot a bow, is simply not enough time to get ready.
From the sounds of his post he just has not shot that particular bow. Spools if I were you I would shoot the same bow you used before, this way you have all the equipment for it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think he's shot a bow before just not this particular bow.

Get it set up and shoot it a few time see how comfortable it is for you, and stay within your comfort range. I just picked up a new bow myself. I'm more confident with my new Bowtech bow than I was with my old bow and have onle been throught 4 or 5 shooting sessions. I rarely shoot past 20 yds and never past 30. Thats just where i'm comfortable.
Guess I was a bit slow on my response.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
first off don't listen to some people here, the internet has made everyone an expert at least in their own eyes. practice when you can, hunt when you can, good luck this season

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
first off don't listen to some people here, the internet has made everyone an expert at least in their own eyes. practice when you can, hunt when you can, good luck this season
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
You'll like this story....last year I purchased a new bow on Friday October 19. Went home and sighted it in during the fading daylight and finished up by using the lighting in my back yard. At 7:15 a.m on Saturday October 20, I shot my first bow buck.. a nice 8 pointer that I was very pleased with. Just get as much practice time in as you can. I released one arrow last year, no more. So as long as you have one good one and have plenty of practice in or as much as you can, GO FOR IT. Hunting is not just about shooting a deer, its about getting out there. I have some broadheads that didn't sell during a yard sale and would happily let you have them. Just IM me and we can make arrangements. Good luck.

ST8

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Yeah, if you're not ready, don't worry about a likely gut or high shoulder hit on a deer. It's about you and your hunt. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,379 Posts

You make it out to sound like shooting a bow is some impossible feat? :lol:

This always cracks me up...for the most part, anybody with a decent bow setup can buy it one day, and be hitting a 4'' circle repeatedly @ 20 yards within a week.

·
Administrator
17,649 Posts
A little frustrated is more like it for me....
I made the big switch from fingers and purchased a mechanical release this year. A few weeks ago I paper tuned my bow and was shooting decent groups, but couldn't get my broadheads to fly exactly like my field points. I was attaching my release directly to the string (under the arrow) with a rubber button under my arrow, and a knock over my arrow. Even though the paper tears were perfect, the front of my arrow was noticeably lower than the back. I attributed this to pinch caused by the angle of my string. Yesterday, I removed the rubber button from below the arrow and tied a string loop to my bow. I have never had a more difficult time paper tuning a bow in my life!
To make a long story short, I was out in the garage until 11:30 last night paper tuning. I would get it perfect, and then out of the blue these awful tears would start showing up. I went through my form! I tried different arrows! I changed my grip slightly! FINALLY, I realized I had a loose set screw on my rest! :eek:
So now my arrow sits perfectly level on my bow, and I am getting perfect bullet holes from 1, 3, 5, and 7 yards! I changed my sites accordingly and have them set close to 10,20,30 and 40. I tested the 10 and 20 from the dark into my lighted garage. Anyway, I will still be nervous until I have the broadheads hitting perfectly this afternoon.
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
30,938 Posts
any one else got any thing that they are worried about this year.
1) An Obama presidency
2) A Biden vice presidency
3) Iran's nuclear capabilities
4) Ahhhh, global warming
5) all the deer I will shoot before October 1st spoiling before I can get them to the processor.
6) My foodplots spreading CWD
7) Farmlegend going ANOTHER year buckless :evil:
8) November Sunrise killing all the whitless BBs on his property
9) Swamp Ghost popping up on here with an alias.
10) 700,000 "hunters" throwing in the towel because they can't use bait
11) All the Mom and Pops in bankrupcy court this winter
12) Getting banned from MS.com
13) Mitch taking his secrets to the grave
14) Global warming...oops already said that.:eek:
15) Sarah Palin gaining 50 lbs to appeal to the fat vote.
16) global warming...dang it, sorry.
17) spool not being able to bow hunt. This should be #1
18) That Whit1 and Ferg are in ca-hoots to get me banned from MS.com
19) That Pinefarm will go underground...again.
20) That Boehr will become a mod again
21) That Beer and Nuts will be released on parole ;)
22) That Rancid Crabtree is really KGB
23) That Michihunter says something nice about QDM.
24) That KozBow gets a bigger buck than me
25) That Mike Hartges is redemed
26) That Calhoun prematurely kills one of his potential booners
27) That Orion is spiking his redfrier mix with thistle seed
28) That Ed Spins bib buckles break
29) Tony LaPratt having an opening in his 2008 boot cam calendar...not likely.
30) NorthJeff not ever posting here again.
31) A kid shooting MY buck during the youth season
32) An antlerless hunter not being able to control himself when the big boy walks out during the EAS and shooting ALL of the bucks
33) weeds in my foodplot
34) not getting my honey do list completed before Holloween
35) hunters in 5-10 DPSM DMUs not getting antlerless permits
36) That I get on the same MS deer hunting team as Casscityalum
37) That I don't get on the same team as NorthJeff
38) That Kelly Johnson insists I get on his team....again
39) That HunterHawk has to settle for hunting Colorado this year
40) That the Connell boys patent their foodploting equipment
41) That Nimrod finds his old friend (buck) dead from natural causes
42) draught
43) floods
44) global warming
45) gas rationing
46) premature release.......when at full draw on a P&Y
47) Soggybottomboy loosing his stealth ability to sneak up and cut the throat of a booner in his bed
48) KzooKid missing a day of the youth season with his kids....(better not shoot my buck)
49) Wildcoy loosing his right to hunt public land
50) John Eberhart taking his critics seriously
51) Thunderhead figuring out the "Ignore" feature on this site and using it on Michihunter
52) Joe Archer shooting more does than bucks
53) rzdmrh changing up the order of his letters...and nobody noticing
54) That Kwama K. won't be able to raise the $1,000,000 he was fined
55) That Motown's next mayor might be gay
56) That Obama is kicking himself in the a** for not picking Jenny G.
57) That McDonalds may be forced to reduce saturated fat levels in their Big Mac
58) That Katie Kuric gets a contract extension
59) That Dr. Phil might get a divorce
60) That Oprah might get celulite
61) global warming
62) getting banned before post #3,000
That's it! Not much worry here.:)

Big T

·
Premium Member
30,938 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well lets see, after years of waiting I was finally able to buy myself a new bow. I spent two hours at the shop with a great guy who set up my rig and made sure everything was set up properly. I shot some arrows at the shop and purchased some arrows cut to specs for my new bow, went home and kept shooting into the late evening until I had the tight shot group, went hunting the next morning, released one hour and got my deer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.