Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its about that time that I am done with school, as a matter of fact I have 5 weeks left before I graduate with my degree in Construction Management. :dizzy: how I ever made it through I have no clue lol.

Anyway my question is I have two potential jobs, one is is oregon and one is in Baltimore. I know the fowl opportunities can be good in both spots, but if you were to take a job solely based on how the hunting opps are in these areas, which would you take?

Now obviously, I am not taking the job based on hunting, but just want to get an outsiders view about the situation... perhaps from others who have hunted these areas.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Without a doubt, I would go with Oregon. Not sure if the waterfowling is as good as Maryland, but the big game hunting would more than make up for that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Oregon for me. You would be close to Washington and California for some good opportunities there also. Although, I dont know how much you like to fish and big game hunt.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Brent most of us wonder how you ever passed high school let alone got a college degree from one of the most prestigous schools in this great state. :lol: Just Kidding.

I have been to both and would say Oregon. The waterfowling out east can be good but there is very little public land to hunt on. While I was only in Oregon for a week. It was beautiful and you are so close to all the other states that you could hunt and fish all the time. Besides I would rather visit you there than see the in laws in the Baltimore area. BTW what happened to Indiana? That one sounded like the best. Party up in Chitown and close enough to hunt here. Just my .02 worth. Steve

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
Went to Oregon to hunt turkeys in spring of 2008. Awesome area down around Roseburg. Deer, elk, turkey, fishing and waterfowl were seen when we were there. Look out for mtn. lions too.
Oregon gets my vote too.;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would go west before headign east.....more birds, better chance to actually hunt land, not alot of big hunt clubs, and your just a little south of Canada, which would be a quick trip unlike going from out east......just my two cents. Might be also looking at a job out west here soon........:D

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oregon hands down. Baltimore is the arm pit dude. Big city livin isn't for me. Oregon still has some pretty wild areas left. Plus as was mentioned you are close to Washington great waterfowl hunting there. Lots of water and plenty of birds. I have a friend who lives there. Waterfowl hunts a lot.

Good luck in your venture either way!

Smoke

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Before I read the reply's I said to myself, starting over again what would you do ? Oh Yea ! No doubt get out west. Big City living just blows........

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Oregon,
There is no way I would ever move to the east I like the outdoors way to much.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Brent-

Chalk up another vote for Oregon. While their is good waterfowling out east, access can be a problem as others have said. Couple that with the wilderness that still exists around Oregon, the additional opportunities on top of waterfowling, and the realtive ease of accessing public hunting and it seems a no brainer from a sportsman view. Now, as you said there is certainly more to consider than outdoor opportuities, but all other things being equal I would have no decision between those two locations.

Congrats on nearing the end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
idk about the season in MD, but the waterfowl season (i lived in WA for 3 years) in the northwest is close to 100 days....!!!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
idk about the season in MD, but the waterfowl season (i lived in WA for 3 years) in the northwest is close to 100 days....!!!!
Thats another perk I noticed... Oregon has a 107 day duck season!! Talk about being burned out by the end... I get wore down after the 60 day season as it is!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brent most of us wonder how you ever passed high school let alone got a college degree from one of the most prestigous schools in this great state. :lol: Just Kidding.
There were times, I was amazed at that as well. Its all hitting home now to realize that I am just unable to stay in my home state to find work, but a guy has to find work somehow.

Steve, you will always be welcome out wherever I end up. I am just curious as to what you are going to do when I leave. :lol:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
oregon. wouldn't think twice about it. longer seasons, prettier scenery, lots and lots of ducks and easy to get away from urban areas.

baltimore on the otherhand? good luck trying to find some solitude there.

If i were to relocate, i've settled on washinton or oregon... decent weather, not much snow (not like here anyway) - i'd prefer NoDak of course, but not too many software development jobs there i don't think - redmond on the otherhand....:lol:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Steve, you will always be welcome out wherever I end up. I am just curious as to what you are going to do when I leave. :lol:
I will tell you the same thing I tell my boys. I will do BETTER!. LOL At least I wont have to drive all the way across the state to retrieve my Robo ducks. :rant: Thanks for the invite. :lol:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Looking at your responses, do I need to even say this? OREGON! The east coast sucks to live or get around in...course that's just my opinion. Oregon is wonderful. A bit high-priced in spots, but an outdoor lovers paradise. I had a chance to move there back about 10 years ago. Got all the way down to pure economics and they just couldn't give me enough cash to make financial sense for my family because I was in an established mid-level career here, with a new house on 10 acres, yadda, yadda. But you're in a different situation...you're fresh out of college, and on the way up. GO WEST YOUNG MAN!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts