Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys all the ways I read down below are ok ways to cure spawn. They make it last longer and make it easier to work with.. but also add a taste that is not desirable to fish.. jello jigglers anyone...

1. Skein spawn-- depending on what Im going for will dictate how I cure skein.. or if I will cure it at all. No one ever said you have to cure spawn in order for it to work..
The only time I cure spawn is for kings or whitefish. For kings just take small quater size balls of skein roll them in a boraz cure-- I personaly love siberian cure and let them air dry. I like to make a tray of small mesh to let them drain after putting the boraz on. If they form nice balls I will just hook them on like that and float them for kings or if is better developed skein I will tie it in spawn mesh. If your going to tie.. tie everything at once and seperate into baggies of a dozen a piece!

2. Loose spawn-- This is easy easy easy easy... no chemicals no anything. All I do is when I catch a fish with loose eggs. Be it steelhead coho brown.. drain the eggs into a ziplock and place it on ice as soon as possible. When I get home I will drain the eggs in a colinder but do not rinse them!! Just give it a nice shake.. place them back in the bag and place that bag in another bag. Then put the bag in a large bowl and cover with cold water and then ice. PLace in the fridge for and hour or so and bam you have river cured eggs without removing any of the natural smell off of them yet. Then sit down with a few thousand precut mesh bags and tie until your hands fall off. Seperate them into baggies and place in tupperware containers that allow you create an air vacum.. keeps them from getting freezer burn and bam the second you need one.. you have a bag already to go and no having to unthaw your whole supply in order to tie a few bags. Chemical cures catch fish.. but doing nothing to eggs will allow you to hit that many more. It makes a difference.... hands down.. oh yeah dont wash your hands with soap right before tying bags.. or wear latex gloves.

sideshow

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great post!! I agree, you dont have to use chemicals to prepare spawn.

I will try your idea on freezing in the tuperware box.. I usually have to "skim" a small amount of freeze burned eggs out of plastic jars used for freezer storage.

thanks for the great tip

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another way to prevent the dreaded freezer burn is to vacume seal bags of spawn. Some commercial vacume sealers allow you to set the suction amount fairly light allowing you to remove the air.. which is what burns the eggs. I will ziplock straw out the air.. wrap those up with another four or five bags of "bags" in a piece of newspaper and place them in another ziplock before putting them in the tuperware.. alot of work.. but you have fresh spawn and can use it at anytime.. just grab a couple and go.

tight lines.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
After a good session of spawn tying is the only time when Sideshow's hands smell like fish!! Ok I guess his hands might get fishy after he gets done snaggin suckers in Omer :)
Anyway last fall was the first time that I ever used the river cure method suggested by Sides. They turned out great!!!! The only problem was that I am used to the sugar/salt method and left them in the fridge and they rotted!!! Talk about a nasty smell!!The cats didn't even want to eat them.
I still have about 100 sacks worth of two year old heavy cure eggs left but I can't wait to replace it with some fresh loose!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts