Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. I just started bow hunting last year: I grew up in Indiana and gun hunted there until I got married and moved to Michigan in 2002. Due to extenuating circumstances I gave up gun hunting for several years and got back into gun hunting in 2015, bought a nice mossberg 12 gauge at bass pro shops and got a nice doe that season. Went deerless for two years and got several nice does each of the last few seasons. My kids complained of the cold temps during gun season so I thought what Better way to get them more involved than to take up bow hunting and they can get out when it’s a little warmer in October.
I was going back and forth between compound or crossbow and after a lot of searching I came across a great deal on this site I couldn’t pass up. @liverandonions - a member of this site- had a great deal on a crossbow and a lot of accessories I just couldn’t pass up. So laSt summer I made the purchase and immediately got my three kids and there three friends target practicing, comfortable with the crossbow and we began in earnest for what I was hoping would be a successful bow season. The many times we were out we saw deer, none ever came into bow range. The one that finally did my son rushed his shot and put it right underneath her. He says, you remember how you said to be patient and don’t rush, well I rushed. Ok. No problem shake it off and get back after it.
fast forward to This season my daughter had the crossbow out for the youth hunt and as luck would have it a nice group of does came in about 90 yards out and she couldn’t get a shot but her friend that was seated on the other side of the property dropped one of them with an excellent shot with the gun. I try and get out as much as I can which isn’t as much as I’d like but as I learn the ropes of bow hunting it’s a learning process and seeing deer is one thing. Getting the blasted things in range is another.
here’s the fun part- last night I took my youngest daughter and her friend out to one of the properties we hunt in washtenaw county. Didn’t get there as early as I wanted as I had to wait for a cortisone shot in my knee that took forever but we finally got there. Wanting them to have an easy shot I put them in a spot where the deer always come past and if the deer did it as I planned they’d walk right past there ground blind at less than 20 yards and they’d have an easy shot. I put myself about 200 yards away on the other side of the pond with the crossbow knowing they’d have to pass one of us like they do heading to bedding. I had no intention of shooting anything as I wanted the kids to get one, just took the crossbow with me as a just in case something comes my way and A little later than usual one lone doe walked out and instead of heading to them she headed straight for me. Forty yards. Thirty, twenty and she stopped looked around and I believe she spotted me as she began a quick trot but not full run coming straight at me. She veered to go around the pond giving me literally a ten foot shot. Never in my life did I ever think I’d get a shot opportunity this close. She stopped right in front of me and it was now or never. Crossbow up, rage released and I heard the perfect pumpkin sound. She kicked sky high and took off. I saw her bound off into the tall
Grass right next to me and disappear,
I gave it a few minutes and went to the kids blind. They exclaimed we
Saw her go down. I said ok, let’s put the stuff in the van, warm up for a few minutes and let her lay if in fact she went down. About thirty minutes later we went to the shot sight to investigate. Nothing...we went to the tall grass and started towards where they saw her go down. With two flashlights that weren’t the greatest we went about thirty yards and I said let’s back out and go to TSC and get a better flashlight. About that time my daughter and her friend exclaimed I see her! I couldn’t believe it there she lay forty yards from the shot sight. What a night! I clipped both lungs and the arrow came out a little further back than I would’ve liked but she bled massively inside and the rage certainly did it’s job. We back tracked and did in fact find the arrow. Now it’s the kids turn to do all the Hunting this season as I’d rather see them successful with a nice buck than worry about myself.
mad respect to all the die hards on here. I follow along daily and love all the LFTS, advice given, and especially just reading about everyone’s hunts. Success or not I always say a bad day in the woods beats a good day at work. Glad I can say I finally got it done bow hunting and hopefully this is just the beginning. I almost want to finish out the season bow only but I see myself going out late Doe season with the shotgun to hopefully add
One or two more to
The freezer and help out the families that allow me and the kids to hunt on their properties. I’m also glad I finally had something useful to add for once in a long
Time. Congrats to all who have been successful so far this season and also good luck to those who are still out and continue to be out daily getting after it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. I just started bow hunting last year: I grew up in Indiana and gun hunted there until I got married and moved to Michigan in 2002. Due to extenuating circumstances I gave up gun hunting for several years and got back into gun hunting in 2015, bought a nice mossberg 12 gauge at bass pro shops and got a nice doe that season. Went deerless for two years and got several nice does each of the last few seasons. My kids complained of the cold temps during gun season so I thought what Better way to get them more involved than to take up bow hunting and they can get out when it’s a little warmer in October.
I was going back and forth between compound or crossbow and after a lot of searching I came across a great deal on this site I couldn’t pass up. @liverandonions - a member of this site- had a great deal on a crossbow and a lot of accessories I just couldn’t pass up. So laSt summer I made the purchase and immediately got my three kids and there three friends target practicing, comfortable with the crossbow and we began in earnest for what I was hoping would be a successful bow season. The many times we were out we saw deer, none ever came into bow range. The one that finally did my son rushed his shot and put it right underneath her. He says, you remember how you said to be patient and don’t rush, well I rushed. Ok. No problem shake it off and get back after it.
fast forward to This season my daughter had the crossbow out for the youth hunt and as luck would have it a nice group of does came in about 90 yards out and she couldn’t get a shot but her friend that was seated on the other side of the property dropped one of them with an excellent shot with the gun. I try and get out as much as I can which isn’t as much as I’d like but as I learn the ropes of bow hunting it’s a learning process and seeing deer is one thing. Getting the blasted things in range is another.
here’s the fun part- last night I took my youngest daughter and her friend out to one of the properties we hunt in washtenaw county. Didn’t get there as early as I wanted as I had to wait for a cortisone shot in my knee that took forever but we finally got there. Wanting them to have an easy shot I put them in a spot where the deer always come past and if the deer did it as I planned they’d walk right past there ground blind at less than 20 yards and they’d have an easy shot. I put myself about 200 yards away on the other side of the pond with the crossbow knowing they’d have to pass one of us like they do heading to bedding. I had no intention of shooting anything as I wanted the kids to get one, just took the crossbow with me as a just in case something comes my way and A little later than usual one lone doe walked out and instead of heading to them she headed straight for me. Forty yards. Thirty, twenty and she stopped looked around and I believe she spotted me as she began a quick trot but not full run coming straight at me. She veered to go around the pond giving me literally a ten foot shot. Never in my life did I ever think I’d get a shot opportunity this close. She stopped right in front of me and it was now or never. Crossbow up, rage released and I heard the perfect pumpkin sound. She kicked sky high and took off. I saw her bound off into the tall
Saw her go down. I said ok, let’s put the stuff in the van, warm up for a few minutes and let her lay if in fact she went down. About thirty minutes later we went to the shot sight to investigate. Nothing...we went to the tall grass and started towards where they saw her go down. With two flashlights that weren’t the greatest we went about thirty yards and I said let’s back out and go to TSC and get a better flashlight. About that time my daughter and her friend exclaimed I see her! I couldn’t believe it there she lay forty yards from the shot sight. What a night! I clipped both lungs and the arrow came out a little further back than I would’ve liked but she bled massively inside and the rage certainly did it’s job. We back tracked and did in fact find the arrow. Now it’s the kids turn to do all the Hunting this season as I’d rather see them successful with a nice buck than worry about myself.
mad respect to all the die hards on here. I follow along daily and love all the LFTS, advice given, and especially just reading about everyone’s hunts. Success or not I always say a bad day in the woods beats a good day at work. Glad I can say I finally got it done bow hunting and hopefully this is just the beginning. I almost want to finish out the season bow only but I see myself going out late Doe season with the shotgun to hopefully add
One or two more to
The freezer and help out the families that allow me and the kids to hunt on their properties. I’m also glad I finally had something useful to add for once in a long
Time. Congrats to all who have been successful so far this season and also good luck to those who are still out and continue to be out daily getting after it.
Very nice, I'm jealous.

Jealous of your time with the kids but more jealous of the cortisone shot. I spent many a mile and hours on stand this year reminiscing about the joy that is cortisone.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Great story of the hunt. Congrats on your first XBow harvest. I see many more in your future. Best of luck to the youngsters.

Don’t envy you needing the cortisone but I do recall what a great relief they were when suffering a serious football injury. It is obviously working for you. Congrats.

Reactions: bigcatjake

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
One or two more to
That was a great post.

When you begin something new as an adult the learning curve is harder to navigate than when learning as a teenager. It sounds like you're doing great getting things figured out.

Congrats!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts