Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got drawn for a Nevada mule deer hunt this year. It's kind of strange hunting in August in 90 degree heat, but it's a good way to start the archery season. This is my first muley.

·
Administrator
17,645 Posts
Nice buck! The velvet should make it an exceptional mount (if you are having it done.)
<----<<<

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course I'm having him mounted. That's my best buck. The velvet should look good.

It's pretty much high desert out in Nevada, no real trees and some pretty big mountains. The way you hunt out there is spot and stalk. You see a deer in the morning, and when the day gets hot, the deer beds in the shade and that’s when you sneak up on them. Easy, yah right.

I saw this buck in the morning at about 3/4 mile away. I knew he was nice and I wanted to take him. At around 7:30 he bedded down, and that's when I put my sneak on. It took me an hour to get within 40 yards of him. On previous stalks I screwed up by trying to get too close or by rushing things. I can shoot at 40 yards, so this time I was determined to be patient.

So with only the antlers in sight I waited. And waited. I waited 2 hours for that buck to stand. When he finally stood, I was ready, he gave me a prefect broadside shot. I quietly pulled back my Bowtech and proceeded to send my arrow flying right over its back.

I choked.

After waiting 2 hours I rushed the shot. What the heck happened to my patience? Did I mention it was a 45 degree slope I was standing on?

The buck ran off to my right, but stopped after 15 yards. Apparently this deer had never heard an arrow sail by his head, because he looked curious. He was so curious and or dumb enough to come back and investigate what made that strange noise.

Yes he came back. He came back and stood in the same spot where I missed. By this time I was able to knock another arrow and I was really ready this time. He gave me another perfect broadside shot and this time the arrow hit ribs. After a 150 yard run down hill he was dead.

Sometimes it's better to lucky than good.

After taking a few pictures, the real work began. The closest road was a mile away and there is no dragging deer uphill, so I quartered the buck and packed him out.

It was a good trip.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a do-it-yourself trip. It's been taking us 3 years to draw, but we got lucky and drew back to back tags this year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw a handfull of elk while I was out there. Nothing too special. Right now Nevada isn't issuing any non-resident elk tags anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally......Nice job buddy:D lets hope it doesn't take another 3 hunts before the next one...What no pic of Jonus's buck?;)
My buddy was the first one to take a deer on this same trip. I thought mine was big till the two racks were side by side. He took a hog! Absolutely huge. Magazine cover huge.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Awesome dude.......hell of a mulie.....

But you know we michigan hunters don't hunt in over 70 degree temp......lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts