Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we found them today. Even thought it was 49 degrees in the morning, the sun was rising fast and it had the makings of a hot afternoon, so we made the most of the cool morning.

Running into a spider web (one of many) is as suffocating as being pushed under the water, even though you can still breath. It seems to me like pulling a gauzy wool hat over my face...then you wonder where the spider is...

We ran Chloe, the lab, and later, Lillie, the Gordon.

Chalk was everywhere, as well as borings from the woodcock beaks...

Flush count: 14 woodcock, 6 grouse.
Bag: ZERO! I've never shot so poorly in my life while having so much fun!

We rounded out the day with a pipe as the temps soared into the upper seventies.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Pretty neat attire as well. You guys look like you just popped out of the Orvis catalog.

Better luck shooting next time. Looks like a great time.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'm noticing a theme in Ray's posts this season.

Ray, is that a spider crawling up your neck in that third picture? :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Great pictures on a great day (despite the somewhat less than steller kill rate).
Last weekend I shot 16 or 17 times over solid points and have 1 dead woodcock to show for it--and now, a batch of very difficult-to-approach grouse in my covers!
With the fine doubles, hunting attire, pipes and dogs, there's only one thing missing: a good single malt scotch at the end of the day!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I too have been shooting poorly on the woodies. Took pokes at 8 of 'em since Saturday, only hit one. A few of the times I got a second or third chance when the dog re-flushed. Also missed quite a few "easy" shots at grouse as well. Had two that flushed toward me like station 8 low house and whiz by me right off the end of the barrel. Did get one tonight though that didn't put on the evasive manuevers and missed a shot op on a woodie because I was wiping webs off my face when he went up.

Man, compared to you guys I dress like a bum when I'm out bird hunting!

Once again, very nice pics Ray

·
Registered
710 Posts
You guys really go all out! The attire is right out of the English country side now all you need are some beaters so that you can stand still and drink single malt and smoke pipes and wait for the birds to come to you.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
you got to hate it when they forget to put bebes in thoose shells:lol:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Cool pics, looks like you know how to have fun in the woods.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I look forward to your woodcock posts each year. Seems like last year the outfits were even better. If it makes you feel any better, I (we) are 6 for about 50 so far this year. Connected beautifully on one today, no pics, as the "great shot" turned the little guy into mush.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts