Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to bore anyone but here are a few pictures I took out in the Pierre Nat'l Grasslands and a few from the Western Upper:

And not to post too many dead bird pics this season, BUT when you have a nice double gun and a point over a brace of ruffed grouse and bag both birds...

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Nice pics and congratulations on the double (I'm having a rough time with half that:mad:).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks for the pics, and congrats on the double! I've hunted quite a bit in that area, in my mind some of the most beautiful in the State of Michigan. Hope to get up there next month.

Scott B.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
So, Which are which?:rolleyes:

It looks like fun. Headed to SD in 24 more days.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dom,
Yes, we did run into a few rattlesnakes, none by the dogs, but several by the horses. I have added rattlesnake to the list of successfully bagged creatures!!:tdo12: I saw several Pronghorn running the grasslands which was pretty cool, some sand burrowing owls, bald eagles, coyotes, osprey, prairie dogs and of course sharptails and chickens.

Tim,
Good Luck to you guys and gals. I could not believe the number of pheasant on the grassland proper and hordes of them around the agriculture. We moved about 30-40 pheasant a day in marginal cover so I am sure you will see some birds.;)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Dom,
Yes, we did run into a few rattlesnakes, none by the dogs, but several by the horses. I have added rattlesnake to the list of successfully bagged creatures!!:tdo12: I saw several Pronghorn running the grasslands which was pretty cool, some sand burrowing owls, bald eagles, coyotes, osprey, prairie dogs and of course sharptails and chickens.

Tim,
Good Luck to you guys and gals. I could not believe the number of pheasant on the grassland proper and hordes of them around the agriculture. We moved about 30-40 pheasant a day in marginal cover so I am sure you will see some birds.;)
I would almost prefer to hunt the marginal cover - less is sometimes more with pointing dogs. Cool pics by-the-way.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim,
What part of the state are you headed to?? I could point you to about 40,000 acres of good pheasant cover if its a reasonable drive of where you are heading.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have long thought about an early season trip to the PNG. Did the temps allow you to hunt during the day or did you have to do the early/late thing? Sounds like you were on horseback which would be very cool , but do you think a foot hunter in good condition can do OK in that expanse? Enjoyed the pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Tim,
What part of the state are you headed to?? I could point you to about 40,000 acres of good pheasant cover if its a reasonable drive of where you are heading.
Near Pierre or farther west if we need to. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts