Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

A few questions...

982 13
Will be venturing over to the bay and river for the first time ever this weekend. Have been reading as much as I can on these forums. We do a lot of fishing over here, on the West side of the state, but have never fished the bay or river. I am looking for any/all info that people would be willing to share. I am wondering about...

a. what are the major mistakes newbies make when fishing the river? Are there areas to stay away from for the sake of safety? For the most part, I imagine we will stick to trail others have already made. Does the presentation differ between what to do on the river and on the bay?

b. we have a sled and will be trying the bay, as well. With being multiple miles out, does everyone take along gps to get back to land? Thinking about taking off out of Linwood. Any areas with questionable ice around there?

c. Closest bait shop around Vet's park?

d. Thank you for any and all advice.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Always take a compass and a GPS. Make sure you take a reading of the compass before you leave shore, that way you will know exactly what direction to return should your GPS fail. When you get miles out on the bay, everything looks similar and it can be very easy to get turned around. Always follow the same trail in that you rode out on. Bring a spud and use it anytime the ice changes. Being extra propane in case you break down. Good luck and be safe, the bay is a very serious place to fish.
Will be venturing over to the bay and river for the first time ever this weekend. Have been reading as much as I can on these forums. We do a lot of fishing over here, on the West side of the state, but have never fished the bay or river. I am looking for any/all info that people would be willing to share. I am wondering about...

a. what are the major mistakes newbies make when fishing the river? Are there areas to stay away from for the sake of safety? For the most part, I imagine we will stick to trail others have already made. Does the presentation differ between what to do on the river and on the bay?

b. we have a sled and will be trying the bay, as well. With being multiple miles out, does everyone take along gps to get back to land? Thinking about taking off out of Linwood. Any areas with questionable ice around there?

c. Closest bait shop around Vet's park?

d. Thank you for any and all advice.
The ice can change daily with the wind right now. Don't trust a trail you were on the day before and go blazing out before daylight, and same coming in at night. The bad things that happen out there most of the time could be avoided by taking your time. It may take longer, but at night, you don't want to be in the water at all! Motorized transportation makes it easy to haul gear a lot further than walking, no hurry. Get with anyone on here that's going out. I'm sure there are lots that would let you tag along since your new to the bay....I'm going all day Saturday, more than likely from eastside. Planning on wed./thurs./fri. also, so hopefully will see what the wind has done. Good luck, and pm the guys on here going out. Most are good guys. Bring some food and beer with you, that works a lot of the time for help :lol:
Did you find any Ice Hole?
The ice can change daily with the wind right now. Don't trust a trail you were on the day before and go blazing out before daylight, and same coming in at night. The bad things that happen out there most of the time could be avoided by taking your time. It may take longer, but at night, you don't want to be in the water at all! Motorized transportation makes it easy to haul gear a lot further than walking, no hurry. Get with anyone on here that's going out. I'm sure there are lots that would let you tag along since your new to the bay....I'm going all day Saturday, more than likely from eastside. Planning on wed./thurs./fri. also, so hopefully will see what the wind has done. Good luck, and pm the guys on here going out. Most are good guys. Bring some food and beer with you, that works a lot of the time for help :lol:
When leaving shore I always set that as a waypoint on my gps. If you cross any pressure cracks mark them as waypoints as well so you know where they are and where you have to cross them.
River has lots of ice....bring auger....lots of smalls but a few dandy's mixed in....been in BC LAST few days and limits are the norm...raps and buckshots. Midday bite had been best with full moon.
Thank you, heillerj...I will be in touch within a day or two....
Thank you to everyone who replied. Looking forward to fishing the bay and river. If anyone else has comments/thoughts/tips, please reply!
if its too windy to hit the bay in the afternoon, will be looking for you Ron :). You walking out from Liberty? pm if you need to.
River has lots of ice....bring auger....lots of smalls but a few dandy's mixed in....been in BC LAST few days and limits are the norm...raps and buckshots. Midday bite had been best with full moon.
How much ice does vets have?
Sounds like the bay is happening....I have to get some chores done this morning so might try and get out this afternoon back on the river if I get done early enough.
if its too windy to hit the bay in the afternoon, will be looking for you Ron :). You walking out from Liberty? pm if you need to.
Reactions: Ralph Smith
Thank you! May take my power auger instead of hand auger.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.