Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
My Dad, Unlce and I hunted tonight. Right on par, things were slow again this evening. But, we did manage a few. We ended up with two nice drake GW and a nice looking drake spoonie.:D Knocked another teal down that hit in the edge of the corn. It took off swimming down the corn row. I wanted to shoot it, but not know exactly where the next party was hunting, i let it go. NO duck is worth hurting someone.;)...Next thing i know it made a left. Then i hear my Dad say its flying. By the time i saw it it was outta range, but it flew over Dad. He pulled up on it, "click"....Dud shell.:rolleyes:....And with that wind, it was gone. That bird's name must be "Lucky"!:lol:

Anyhow heres the pics of our ducks from tonight. They sure are purdy this time of year.:)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yaaa ! Nice drake spoonie for sure.........All three of those guys are here kinda late in the season. You better check those shells of yours, that's the second hard core little greener that escaped you......:D

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its seems we've had al little push of teals. The majority of the birds i saw yesterday morning were teal as well as tonight.

As for the one that got away.....I hear ya...Im stickin' to big ducks! Theyll at least die when ya shoot em!!!:lol:...That one was a drake as well. Looked to be well colored too.

It was pretty funny how i got the spoonie. There was a piece of thread hanging out on the call pocket on my drake waders. I was dicking with that trying to tear it off.(Thats how exciting the night had been) I just had my gun cradled in my left arm. For some reason I glance up at the dekes and heres this spoonie back peddling about 4' off the water. I scrambled to get my gun up. As he's about to touch down he sees me and starts up...but he didnt get too far.:evilsmile Too bad the head doesnt have more green on it or I might get it mounted. Thats the nicest spoonie ive ever gotten. But, at the same time i dont know if they could fix the head. One pellet hit the very top of the skull. It must have hit it just right as it looks like a bomb went off. It tore a gapping hole. I did a little "bald man" cosmetics with the feathers to get a decent pic.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Nice spoon bill! Probably one of the best that I have seen from MI.

~marsh
I agree. Nice bird. Full color Shoveler drakes are pretty striking birds, but we don't see 'em in full color here. Yours is the closest to full color I've ever seen in a Michigan Spoonbill.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Great looking birds Adam- good to see that someone is getting in some duck action.

I shot this Spoonie in the 2007 season. The way its neck and head was still mottled I didn't even think about getting it mounted----- Did I make a mistake?????

(sorry about the photos being blurry- it was pretty windy that day)

Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I take back what I said to Adam.... BMT, yours is the closest to full color I've ever seen in Michigan Spoonie! :lol:

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lol:...BITE ME Shlwego:lol::lol::lol:

Nice looking bird there BMT.;) Mine was mottled as well, but not nearly as well colored as yours. Man theyre beautiful. I cant get over their orange feet either. Theyre almost neon.:cool:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
if God put a dainty little blue bill on a shoveler, like a wigeon's bill, they would be the most coveted bird around.

I may have to shoot one in TX at the end of January and have my taxidermist play God. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Good kill, but I wouldn't mount it, it's immature. Check out the last picture.
I have shot them with that plumage in Mich., but it was way late. The late season would be time for a good bird, if you get one.
BTW: it's almost as bad to eat as Mergy, plan accordingly.
I shot piles of them in California, the "Laughing Mallard"

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nice photo shop Bite Me Too. On my first trip to ND in my early waterfowling career we got into them pretty good one morning. I was having a ball until we got to the cleaning station and started getting ribbed by the more senior duck hunters. Once I started breasting those beasts and everyone we had shot had the dreaded rice breast:tdo12:. We did't shoot any other LIPS for the rest of the week. Every now and then when we are out there we usually get the new guy to pop one. I know there is nothing really wrong with them but rice breast turned me off of them in a hurry. Actually come to think of it my first double was a drake and a hen shoveler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts