Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,949 Posts
Awesome! I love the Niagra , they brown convincing me to make the trip. Anyone trolling around the mouth you seen?

·
Premium Member
6,949 Posts
Not so much trolling, but drifting and jigging with plastic minnow baits or dragging eggs,beads or large shiners over what’s referred to as “ the bar” it’s the hump created by the river.
Thankyou for the reply , usually I’m one of only ones trolling when I’ve been there. Like you said mainly jigging. I had some good days on the bar early April this year , was hoping to try it this winter to. A big brown like in your pics is what I’m hoping for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou for the reply , usually I’m one of only ones trolling when I’ve been there. Like you said mainly jigging. I had some good days on the bar early April this year , was hoping to try it this winter to. A big brown like in your pics is what I’m hoping for.
This was my first trip this year…I fished along side of some locals. They said its been slow. But slow for those guys is a fish every 45 minutes. The river has a mixed bag now. Browns/Laker/steelhead and an occasional Atlantic. Oddly enough the boat pressure was low on both sides. Might head back mid week. Getting ever more difficult to time fishable water. Erie gets wound up quick.

·
Premium Member
6,949 Posts
This was my first trip this year…I fished along side of some locals. They said its been slow. But slow for those guys is a fish every 45 minutes. The river has a mixed bag now. Browns/Laker/steelhead and an occasional Atlantic. Oddly enough the boat pressure was low on both sides. Might head back mid week. Getting ever more difficult to time fishable water. Erie gets wound up quick.
Please post up a report if you go and good luck. The variety of species and size keeps me coming back as much I can every year. I just started trying to the learn the mouth area this past year, just amazing over there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we fished the Niagara again yesterday…condition were as good as they get for that river. We landed 4 browns and lost two steelhead that looked they were in double digit range. Missed a few more. We put in a solid 8 hr shift. We hooked fish, but I really thought it was going to be a epic day. 8-10 mm beads in chartreuse. Nothing on bags,yarn,streamers. Pressure was minimal down river from shore and boats. The gorge area was really busy with shore and boat traffic. Don’t see any fish hooked in the gorge area either.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Thanks for the great report. I might have to check that out. Look at those fat hens, just full of golden spawn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great report. I might have to check that out. Look at those fat hens, just full of golden spawn.
Well I do have to admit, we have no shortage off loose brown eggs. One hen gave us what we need. They have been vacuum packed are are ready field testing. Should carry us through the winter and spring. I know a lot folks are anti beads, but they certainly take the pressure off of the panic for spawn. No need for more than 1 or 2 loose fish on that river. Im absolutely positive we could have done just as well if we had never tied a bag and just ran beads. We bounced tandem rigs for bit. Bottom was a bag of loose brown eggs that were fresh out of the fish and 20” above that was a 8-10mm bead. Several let that bag go by and smack the bead(yes they hit it) not flossed. So my partner switched up….bead first bag second. Yep they hit the bead. Even a few of the steelhead took the bead over the bag. But can’t go chasing them without good eggs…just doesn’t feel right lol. Eries wound up now, not sure when or if we will try again. It was good to get back to the Niagara, haven’t been in a few years. Boy does that system have fish. In November/December you load up on a fish it could be a steelhead,brown,laker a late king or even an Atlantic now. Anyway it was fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its shot….it never stopped running mud from last weeks blow on Erie and now we have another hurricane like wind. Looked at several web cams today from Buffalo to the bar…..looks horrific. IMO it’s un fishable.

·
Premium Member
6,949 Posts
Its shot….it never stopped running mud from last weeks blow on Erie and now we have another hurricane like wind. Looked at several web cams today from Buffalo to the bar…..looks horrific. IMO it’s un fishable.
Hey Krystal you have any clue of mouth of niagra is clean water yet or she still dirty?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like it is….google Old Fort Niagara web cam. Thats a few of the mouth from the NY side. I would be there if I wasn’t under forced lock down…Son tested positive. Also check Niagara falls Wyndham Gardens web cam. It looks greenish blue. I say its good now and will be Friday. North blow starting Saturday. That will keep Erie flat so the river will be ok. Drifting the mouth might be a bit rock and roll.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts