Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a CO stop by today and boy was he mad! Seems somebody call RAP and said I was bragging about 3 deer hanging in my barn and I was using no tags. I was shocked to say the least, when I opened my front door! We went out to the barn and he seemed pissed of at me from the get go. I showed him the 3 deer which were my wifes and mine and all were tagged and asked what was the problem. Yea, there are 3 deer still out there 'cause they and their hides are frozen solid and I do my own processing. He couldn't tell me the person who filed the complaint but I suspect a couple of people[non-hunters] from a Christmas party a few days ago. In a conversation with a friend, I remember their negative comments toward killing deer. My wife said it was crazy because I'm the one who usually calls RAP or chases late night hunters down the road! You guys ever get a CO visit?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
bear catcher said:
Had a CO stop by today and boy was he mad! Seems somebody call RAP and said I was bragging about 3 deer hanging in my barn and I was using no tags. I was shocked to say the least, when I opened my front door! We went out to the barn and he seemed pissed of at me from the get go. I showed him the 3 deer which were my wifes and mine and all were tagged and asked what was the problem. Yea, there are 3 deer still out there 'cause they and their hides are frozen solid and I do my own processing. He couldn't tell me the person who filed the complaint but I suspect a couple of people[non-hunters] from a Christmas party a few days ago. In a conversation with a friend, I remember their negative comments toward killing deer. My wife said it was crazy because I'm the one who usually calls RAP or chases late night hunters down the road! You guys ever get a CO visit?
They don't sound like friends to me.. :sad:

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What bothers me I guess the most is anyone can point the finger and make you and your honesty look dirty. It bugs me too that I'm on record as a possible poacher!Cheeeeeeezzzzzzzz!

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
This is probably a form of hunter harrasment. I'd call the CO back and see if you could press charges if those were indeed the poeple that called you in.

BTW, I doubt that your on any " record " :)

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
bear catcher said:
It bugs me too that I'm on record as a possible poacher!Cheeeeeeezzzzzzzz!
Actually, you're on record as NOT being a poacher. :) As the complaint was investigated and found to not have merit. I'd make it a point to mention that you suspect that the complaint may have been made by someone opposed to hunting. Though I'm not sure, this might be a case of hunter harrassment and this type of info may be helpful to the CO. I'm sure they don't like being manipulated by people crying wolf, if in fact the reason they called is because they are opposed to hunting.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Not hunter harassment. The local CO obviously knows you as not being a poacher now although
My wife said it was crazy because I'm the one who usually calls RAP or chases late night hunters down the road!
if you are the one that usually calls RAP then I don't know why the CO already didn't know you.

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife says I must clarify something and she's right.The CO was very professional in his manner and I didn't want to make it look like I was treated unfairly. It probably just angered him that I was "bragging" about the deer.They can't tell you who complained I think because they may not know. I'm just glad seasons over.

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boehr,
It's been a while since I called RAP and the last few years I've just got their license numbers and called central dispatch.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wouldn't let it get to me. You even said he "seemed pissed off". The word "seemed" is totally subjective - that is totally open to how you interpret it. If he said, "hey I pissed off to be here" then you have something. Who's to say he didn't just get some bad news, lost his dog, wife left him. Basically you never know. I will say that those CO boys do tend to have a pretty serious side and leave the humor at home - uderstandably so. Just be glad you have a local CO following up on things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm suprised they paid a visit. I have called the RAP line twice in the last two week's spoke with 3 different CO's about the same issue and to my knowledge none of them have piad a visit to the nieghbor.

Do not get me wrong they have been busy on other call's, just not on mine. The Srgt. I talked to yesterday, said next time I see the person to call the RAP line again and they will try to get out there. Hope third time is a charm.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
If he asked professionally, I would have told the CO to come on in and look at anything he would like. I would have even offered him some coffee. If he was being a jerk about it, then I would have asked for a search warrant. It all comes down to how I am treated on the front end. Contrary to popular belief nowadays, you are still innocent until proven guilty.

Sounds like the CO was simply doing his job, and he too will most likely be glad when the season is over ;) I am just happy to hear that they actually checked out the complaint.

Dan

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I believe the question asked was, "You guys ever get a CO visit?"

Answer, yes and no. I've had CO's visit many times and usually they stop to chat. Mostly digging for information. One time there were two officers, they left their truck in my driveway (I live in the woods and have a long driveway. Their truck could not be seen that way.) and went checking the neighbors. But I've never had them stop to check me. Fortunately I've usually been on good terms with the local CO. Sad to say we have a new one whom I have yet to meet.

The good news is that we had a heavy poaching neighbor and the CO did catch him. Things seem to have cooled down over there since.

Bear, I wouldn't let the visit concern me in the least. Actually I'd be happy knowing you got checked and proved to be in the clear.

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
One Eye said:
....... If he was being a jerk about it, then I would have asked for a search warrant......
Dan
I'm not an attorney and I'm probably wrong, but I've always been told that the CO is the ultimate police officer.
Only needing "probable cause" to justify a search.
Any attorneys out there that could answer this?

·
Registered
26,586 Posts
Encore, hundreds of threads here, do a search.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
PHP:
I'm just glad seasons over.
WATCH IT NOW!

You dont want to go saying something you are going to regret.

Its a sad day when the seasons over.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I worked with a fellow who somehow got on the CO's sh!+list. He claims it started from a misunderstanding. But they hasseled him for about 5 years of the time that I worked with him, ecspecially during firearm season. He told me stories every year of how they raided his freezer and took his son to jail and such. I only heard his side of the story, but he claimed he didn't deserve their attention. However he did tell me that they once stuffed coveralls with newspaper to make it look like someone was hunting from a tree (this was when it was illegal to firearm hunt from elevation). The CO had to walk a half mile through a muddy plowed field to find out it was a dummy....

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
wruebs said:
The CO had to walk a half mile through a muddy plowed field to find out it was a dummy....
Not real hard to see why the CO's had a dislike for your buddy.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Being you are from Huron County and I worked in Huron County for 11 years,(1986-1997) half of that time as the lone CO in that county, likely talking about me :) and I can only think of one family I made it a point to work and catch everty year and we did, the family I'm talking about was well deserving of the attention.;)

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
bear catcher, look on the bright side. You had first hand experience the local COs are out there doing their job watching over your neighborhood. After the first business at hand was easily cleared up, you had a few minutes to chat one-on-one and exchange any related topics you may wish to bring up. It's actually nice to be able to share some personal time and know your local COs.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I'm actually glad to hear that the CO followed up. Good job mr. CO! and I am glad that you had everything in check. No problem there now is there?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts