Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do other deer avoid a single bucks core area?
I have a stand set up on the edge of a heavy thicket where I believe a buck uses as his safe area (jumped him there last year and before the season started this year, and there are years and years of rubs in a relatively small area).
I've noticed that other deer give that area a wide birth and go around it rather than through it.
I haven't hunted it yet, conditions haven't been right but I can see it through my binos from another blind, and seeing sign.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
actually, i think they may indeed avoid it, especially if its where the buck beds...speaking of mature bucks only, ive read several pieces that all say that a mature buck will seek out bedding cover where he is undisturbed by other deer...they wont tolerate competition for good bedding and are often the most anti-social members of the herd...if you think you've found one of these spots, id stay far away until that magical period at the beginning of November where he'll be trying to breed a doe in that cover, alone, away from deer activity

your other option would be to get in that stand EARLY (after confirming his use of the bed) and try to beat him back to bed...if you can manage that, you may get a shot at a giant...be warned tho, you'll probably only have ONE chance at this kinda hunt so ya better do your homework!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Other bucks will bed in a mature bucks bed when he's not there, even if he's still alive. Most primary beds have specific things about them that make them good. Bucks are instinctively drawn to areas that have the characteristics of a good bedding area.

My guess is there is something else about the area that makes deer swing wide of that spot, and that might also be one of the reasons bucks choose to bed there. Similar to a dog or cat laying in the corner of a room, away from foot traffic with a good view.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts