Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't going to take part in the early doe hunt for multiple reasons, most importantly, I didn't want to disturb our property for the bow opener. Simply put, I was dead set on NOT hunting. That is, until I spoke with "Death from Above", who I work with. He told me his plans to take his daughter into the woods. This got me thinking...a chance to take my daughter into the woods when I didn't care how long we stayed AND the weather was going to be nice. I spoke with my brother and dad who both agreed it would be a good idea.

Saturday, September 20 - my daughter was very excited as we dressed in our hunting best and headed out to the property with my brother and his son. On the way my daughter said, "Dad, I love deer hunting," to which I replied, "How do you know you love deer hunting, you've never done it." Ava quickly said, "I know I love deer hunting, because I love being with you." My heart melted and then she said, "and I love to eat deer." That was a perfect start to a perfect hunt.

Fast forward to 8:20a, Ava was a great hunting partner and had been patiently waiting to see our first deer. Finally, two deer made their way into a clearing...one was a nice mature doe. I positioned Ava so she had a good view and then took aim at the doe's shoulder. After the shot, our view was blocked by a hovering cloud of white smoke, but fortunately the doe ran around the blind and into some brush where we heard her fall. Ava was elated. We waited 45 minutes before getting down.

My brother and I were both able to shoot nice doe while our eldest watched. What a great morning and a great opportunity to introduce two youngsters to the great sport of deer hunting!

3 1/2 year old doe, Gratiot County

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
you know, reading your post, i'm thinking youth hunt:bonk: and was ready to
cuss you out for letting a 3 yr old shoot a gun at that age. then remembered
antleress season.good job on your deer, looks like you have a hunting partner
for life now. what a cutie. that is something both will remember a long time.
dave

·
Registered
435 Posts
How in the world did you get your 3 yr old daughter up in a tree stand? I've got a 7 yr old that's been buggin me to go out with me, I just felt she isn't ready, but I think by next year, she will be. I think it's a great idea to take the kids out with ya, just as long as its safe.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I wasn't going to take part in the early doe hunt for multiple reasons, most importantly, I didn't want to disturb our property for the bow opener. Simply put, I was dead set on NOT hunting. That is, until I spoke with "Death from Above", who I work with. He told me his plans to take his daughter into the woods. This got me thinking...a chance to take my daughter into the woods when I didn't care how long we stayed AND the weather was going to be nice. I spoke with my brother and dad who both agreed it would be a good idea.

Saturday, September 20 - my daughter was very excited as we dressed in our hunting best and headed out to the property with my brother and his son. On the way my daughter said, "Dad, I love deer hunting," to which I replied, "How do you know you love deer hunting, you've never done it." Ava quickly said, "I know I love deer hunting, because I love being with you." My heart melted and then she said, "and I love to eat deer." That was a perfect start to a perfect hunt.

Fast forward to 8:20a, Ava was a great hunting partner and had been patiently waiting to see our first deer. Finally, two deer made their way into a clearing...one was a nice mature doe. I positioned Ava so she had a good view and then took aim at the doe's shoulder. After the shot, our view was blocked by a hovering cloud of white smoke, but fortunately the doe ran around the blind and into some brush where we heard her fall. Ava was elated. We waited 45 minutes before getting down.

My brother and I were both able to shoot nice doe while our eldest watched. What a great morning and a great opportunity to introduce two youngsters to the great sport of deer hunting!

3 1/2 year old doe, Gratiot County
Thank heavens.... she got her mothers looks.......;)..lol

Congrats man......the mentoring has begun...:coolgleam

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looking at the pic now I know the REAL reason you took her hunting. Whats that in her hands?? You didnt make her gut it for you did you?? :D

Congrats! Nice story. Nice deer.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Awesome story...Congrats on your and Ava's success.

I took my daughter out for an evening sit and it was a blast. The deer didn't cooperate but it was great to be able to just sit and talk with her without any distractions for a couple of hours.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Great story. I guess I didn't think about the early doe season that way. I took my 6 year old rabbit hunting last year and she loved it. I didn't know how she'd react to seeing a bunny get blasted. Maybe I'll take her out next year in the early doe season. We have corn this year where I hunt and you don't see many deer although they are in there. Next year should be beans so it would be a much better time to take a young one when we can watch the whole field. I'll just sit in a little different spot than i normally do as to not mess up my late october/november hunting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was 3 when my dad took me deer hunting for the first time.
Now I am 32, and still his best hunting buddy.
(I just wish I could convince dad to bow hunt!)
Congrats to you & Ava!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Thanks for introducing the next generation to the outdoors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are the man. Some guys will not take the time out to take their children hunting. I, like you, take my little ones hunting (bow/gun/small game/waterfowl) with me (as long as the weather permits). Have not been blessed with harvesting a deer yet while they were with me, but have seen many.

I took my 7 year old out hunting with me when she was 4. She loves it. She asks to go out with me all the time now. Now I have both my little girls out in the woods with me and my wife.

They love to go out with me when small game hunting. They both take their pop guns out and we practice gun safety while afield. Never can start that too young.

When my girls are not with me in the woods, then they are with their mom in a nice warm box-blind. It truly is a family thing and wouldn't change that for the world. Good job on the harvest and keep the tradition going.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How in the world did you get your 3 yr old daughter up in a tree stand? I've got a 7 yr old that's been buggin me to go out with me, I just felt she isn't ready, but I think by next year, she will be. I think it's a great idea to take the kids out with ya, just as long as its safe.
Good question. We were hunting in a box blind.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking at the pic now I know the REAL reason you took her hunting. Whats that in her hands?? You didnt make her gut it for you did you?? :D

Congrats! Nice story. Nice deer.
Ha. I guess that does look suspect. That's her PLASTIC swiss army knife...she just had to bring it, along with a doll and a travel magna-doodle.

Regarding the gun blast, she didn't mind at all. I brought ear protection, but I neglected to put them on her before the shot. I say it's the thought that counts, but my wife disagrees .

On another note, the kids loved the gutting process. My brother and I both took the time to explain what each organ was along with it's function.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
thats very cool i never thought of taking my son out that early i figured i would have to wait until he is like 6. he will be two in JAN:) sounds like he will make it out in two years

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Ha. I guess that does look suspect. That's her PLASTIC swiss army knife...she just had to bring it, along with a doll and a travel magna-doodle.

Regarding the gun blast, she didn't mind at all. I brought ear protection, but I neglected to put them on her before the shot. I say it's the thought that counts, but my wife disagrees .

On another note, the kids loved the gutting process. My brother and I both took the time to explain what each organ was along with it's function.[/quote]

That is a great learning oppurtunity and a great way to reverse the " Bambi Emotion " that so many non hunters and hunters have.......

I usually reaffirm the responsibility to the resource for shooting the doe along with this.....

Good Stuff Backstrap :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts