Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked out plans with a really good friend at work to call for him and his grandson. First we went to Calhoun County on his deer hunting lease and there was more trespassers then turkey’s. So another buddy has 20 acres in Hillsdale County and he let us hunt there this morning. I got picked up at 3:45 and we headed to the woods, I talked to the land owner and he pointed me in the area we need to hunt. Hour and a half later we was gearing up in the pre dawn darkness and had to walk a bridge across a swamp and up the opposite bank and set up the blind and the dekes.
We got settled in and I grabbed the box call and let out a few very loud yelps and got zero response. About 30 minutes after the sun was up I heard a gobble that sounded like a Jake but it was pretty far off. An hour into the hunt we all heard a gobble to the south east a little closer. Keagan had just put his head down when my buddy spotted a bird to the south 60 yards away. The Jake moved in but hung up when he spotted movment from the blind, he was 15 yards slightly to our left and we decided Keagan would have to shoot the bird there. There was a few branches in the way but I figured not enough to stop the 20 gauge 3 inch mag. His first attempt the gun didn’t fire so I reached over and slide the action back and jammed it forward with some force. His aim was true and Keagan had his first of many turkeys ! My buddy Kevin has taught the boy well as he handled the adversity and pressure of the hunt like a veteran……Congratulations Keagan and Kevin on a great turkey hunt !!
Flight
PS thank god for the therma cell !!
Plant Plant community Tree Wood People in nature
Plant Military camouflage Camouflage Hunting Tree

·
Registered
21,649 Posts
Sure have Waif, possibility of one more but my schedule might turns south in a big way.
Flight
Bank all that positive sucess and the experiences.
In case going South is negative.
Been there.
Looking ahead to more experiences outdoors mattered much. Still does!

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s great your doing great job your wife and now the boy you better find somebody else to take your on a roll.Did you take young flight yet or is he to busy with sports
I would love to take young Flight but he has other priorities right now. A job that he is working 6 and 7 days a week at And of corse girls.
Flight

·
Registered
762 Posts
I worked out plans with a really good friend at work to call for him and his grandson. First we went to Calhoun County on his deer hunting lease and there was more trespassers then turkey’s. So another buddy has 20 acres in Hillsdale County and he let us hunt there this morning. I got picked up at 3:45 and we headed to the woods, I talked to the land owner and he pointed me in the area we need to hunt. Hour and a half later we was gearing up in the pre dawn darkness and had to walk a bridge across a swamp and up the opposite bank and set up the blind and the dekes.
We got settled in and I grabbed the box call and let out a few very loud yelps and got zero response. About 30 minutes after the sun was up I heard a gobble that sounded like a Jake but it was pretty far off. An hour into the hunt we all heard a gobble to the south east a little closer. Keagan had just put his head down when my buddy spotted a bird to the south 60 yards away. The Jake moved in but hung up when he spotted movment from the blind, he was 15 yards slightly to our left and we decided Keagan would have to shoot the bird there. There was a few branches in the way but I figured not enough to stop the 20 gauge 3 inch mag. His first attempt the gun didn’t fire so I reached over and slide the action back and jammed it forward with some force. His aim was true and Keagan had his first of many turkeys ! My buddy Kevin has taught the boy well as he handled the adversity and pressure of the hunt like a veteran……Congratulations Keagan and Kevin on a great turkey hunt !!
Flight
PS thank god for the therma cell !!
View attachment 831893 View attachment 831892
Another one hooked for life. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I would love to take young Flight but he has other priorities right now. A job that he is working 6 and 7 days a week at And of corse girls.
Flight
Congrats to the young hunter and mentors!

Your young flight needs a girl that turkey hunts with him on his off time!

Reactions: Deadeer

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats to the young hunter and mentors!

Your young flight needs a girl that turkey hunts with him on his off time!
I agree 100% unfortunately the youth of today are far different then the youth of yesterday. I hope when he gets settled in life he finds his way to the woods and waters !
Flight

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I know too well. My son always wanted to study or play ball more than hunt!

Reactions: HuntinMichigan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Always great to see young people enjoying the outdoors! My son and I were able to give his two kids a short introduction to turkey hunting this year. While each only had time (ball games and soccer keep them busy) for a single midday/afternoon hunt, they both saw birds, but had no opportunity for a good shot. They both have learned that "the hunt" can be enjoyed and successful even w/o the harvesting of game. They both are waiting for next spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts