Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to Ludington/Manistee for 3 day fishing tomorrow pm until Sunday am with couple of buddies from work. How do you run 9 rods? this is what I am thinking

2 dipsys with spoons
1 lead core with spin doctor and meat rig using T44 inline
1 cupper with spin doctor meat rig using T44 inline
2 flasher and squid on down rigger
2 j-plugs on down rigger
1 spoon on down rigger

what do you guys think? any suggestion to improve is appreciated. Never got a king on T44 and 300 foot line. what happens when she start to run? is the board going to dive? Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would run meat rugs on divers. The majority of our fish this year gave been on meat. I would also run a meat rig on a Downrigger. I may remove a flasher/squid.

J.R.

going to Ludington/Manistee for 3 day fishing tomorrow pm until Sunday am with couple of buddies from work. How do you run 9 rods? this is what I am thinking

2 dipsys with spoons
1 lead core with spin doctor and meat rig using T44 inline
1 cupper with spin doctor meat rig using T44 inline
2 flasher and squid on down rigger
2 j-plugs on down rigger
1 spoon on down rigger

what do you guys think? any suggestion to improve is appreciated. Never got a king on T44 and 300 foot line. what happens when she start to run? is the board going to dive? Thanks

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I'll be running 9 this weekend as well. My starting spread will probably be something like this to start:
3 color-spoon
5 color-spoon
10 color-spoon
10 color-plug
300 Cu- flasher/fly
2 dipseys both w/ meat
1 rigger SWR spoon
Stacked rod flasher/fly
Rigger-spoon w/ spoon free slider

Then will be adjusted from there for temp breaks, what takes hits, etc

·
Registered
316 Posts
Id do paddle fly on chute. Plugs n spoons on corners. Meat or flys on Dipseys and plugs on long leads or coppers. Change as needed and switch most to meat and flys during day

·
Registered
251 Posts
I usually run 9 rods this is what I run right now.(thermocline has dropped again always check the buoy for temps)

1 downrigger (first thing in the morning glow plug on one and a glow spoon slider, once light switch to uv spoon on top and meat on bottom.)
1 downrigger (Glow spin doctor or paddle with meat with slider glow back spoon) again switch out with other meat or tin can dodger and peanut and drop down for grease if you choose.
2 coppers (one with glow plug one with glow spoon first in the morning, switch out one for meat and other with uv as day moves on and run on boards)
1 other copper either shallow or deep depending on thermo and this one has a spoon.
2 full core or one full and one 7color depending on the temp(plug and glow spoon for morning then switch out as day goes on, on boards)
2 wire divers one with meat and other with fly.(we constantly change depth till we figure the fish out)

water temps and fish let us know what to swap out like a short core or 400 cop or 75 cop, etc. We change baits a lot too.

Good luck fishing has been really good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I run a 17' boat....
This time of year I would go
2 riggers-1 meat rig, 1 paddle fly
2 dipseys 1 meat, 1 paddle fly
2 deep copper 225, 300. One with meat or paddle fly, 1 with bloody nose chrome
2 mid coppers 150's or 100 with plugs
Could run a 2 or 3 color as well way outside with a jaw breaker or jäger bomb for steel

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Do you have a 2 color SWR? I would run that with a spoon or plug off a stern rigger below and behind a dipsey w/ a flasher/fly. Put a plug or a spoon on the leadcore/copper that is outside that same dipsey. Keep your outside boards WAY outside with #3 J-plugs or Buffalo Bill/Jawbreaker/Double orange crush-type spoons.

Don't be afraid to minimize your spread when the sun clears the dunes...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Everything you need to know Samie. Run a bit of everything and adjust. Well b up tonight n out tmr. Txt me n I'll fill you in

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
2 riggers (1 SWR), 2 wire dipseys, 2 braid dipseys, 3 boards with lead/copper

one high diver with a spoon, one with flasher fly, meat on the wire dipsys and SWR, and rotate thru stuff on the long lines until find something hot

if braid divers aren't going, putting out more long lines is a good option

·
Registered
528 Posts
OP's question about the T44 inline board is of interest to me. I will be using them for the first time. They are not made to release. What happens when a good size king hits?

·
Registered
206 Posts
To Wruebs:
When running boards I set the drag where I can pull it bit it doesn't click on a turn or faster speed. If a fish hits it generally hooks itself trying to run with that board, pull the rod across the boat flat when you get it close, when it gets to the dipsey line I lift it to get the board out of the water and off the line ASAP. If that tx44 dives...it's a bear to get back up especially with a big fish pulling.
Another option is slow down briefly until the board is off then resume speed or bring the fish in while slow trolling depending on the angler.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
OP's question about the T44 inline board is of interest to me. I will be using them for the first time. They are not made to release. What happens when a good size king hits?
It'll pull back like a "regular" board... Just keep a tight line, and and your rod tip pointed at the board as best as you can

1 - 17 of 17 Posts