Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Colorado

I am working on a book project called "Where were you on 9/11" this project will share stories and personal experiences of hunters in the field, and those fishing.
I am currently trying to find out how the world changed in a matter of a few hours back in New York City on Tuesday September 11. Where were you? what were you doing and how did you react when you heard the terrible news when you returned from the field or waters?

There is no compensation for your submission, but lets tell the world we as hunters and fishing people that we were just as shocked as the rest of America. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Please send submissions to:
Dr. Michael Brooks
11677 west 62nd Ave. #10
Arvada, Colorado 80004

Or e-mail to:
[email protected]

·
Registered
35,267 Posts
On 09/09/01 I got into a head on crash on I-75 south bound. I was on my way back from baiting for the upcoming bear season.

On 9/11 I happen to be out of the hospital looking for a new truck so I could make it back to the upper for the 9/15/01 bear opener. BTW I passed on quite a few bears but never did see the trophy I was looking for.

My thoughts and prayers still go out to the families who lost loved ones.

Where's Arvada? My brother lives in Hayden, sister lives in Boulder and mother stays in Steamboat Springs in the summers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was at Fort Polk Louiaiana training a unit to go to Kosavo. I was at the time a Company Commander in the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment in the 82nd Airborne Division. I was quickly recalled back to Fort Bragg North Carolina to begin planning for a "mission" during the next 1.5 years I found myself all over the world fighting the war on terror. Two wars two years I am ready to take a break.
I will never say I was not scared doing what had to be done but I faced the fear and I did my duty. I am just hoping to have my first uninterupted hunting season in two years.
Really looking forward to the upcoming season

Tom

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Thank you Tom.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,130 Posts
Like many others, I was listening to the radio in my office. Started telling some co-workers about it and, of course, they at first thought I was joking.
Then we found a TV and all kidding stopped.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I was standing by the tv in complete disbelief. Then my wife came home and told me her dad was at the bottom of the first tower to get hit dropping off a passenger. Hes a taxi cab driver in NY. Her mom also works in the city. It took her dad 4 hrs to get to her mom and it took them until 1:30 am to get home to Long Island.

It was a real stressfull day becouse we couldnt get thew to them on there cell phones, we did but it was off and on threw out the day. We did hear about her dad being there and then nothing for some time. We watched the first tower collapse not knowing if her dad was still around there or not.

Her dads story is upsetting to say the least. He was very shook up by it for some time. He said when the plane hit there was all kinds of debris that fell to the ground around hiim like suitcases and clothes and human parts. He thought it was a bombing but couldnt figure out what was going on when he saw pieces from a plane hit the ground. He was yelling at people to move there cars and get out of there becouse everyone stopped what they were doing and got out of there cars and looked up to the sky. People were in shock. If you havent ever seen grid lock in a large city you wouldnt understand how bad it was. He said no one was moving at all for some time. He even drove on the side walks to get around some cars, becouse people just got out of there cars and started running away. This left vehicals in the street with no drivers.

Our first phone call was from my wifes mom telling us her dad was trapped at the bottom of the tower in traffic and he was ok. Then we were not able to get threw again until 45 min after the first tower collapsed, that was the longest 45 min of my life. My wife was quiet upset, all I could do was tell her he was ok and he would make it that her dad was a surviver. Hes a NY taxy cab driver for gods sake!!lol Finally her mom got threw and said her dad was ok and on his way to get her. Then it was another 3 hrs before we heard from them. They were trapped on the streets with millions of others who couldnt get out of the city. The bridges and tunnels and trains were all closed.

The red cross was getting blood from anyone on the street who would give it and her mom said everyone gave blood. Everyone wanted to help as much as they could. She was very proud of the people on the streets, she said every one was being so kind. People were sharing food and stuff to drink with complete stragers. Here agian if you have never been to NY then you wouldnt appreciate how meaningfull this is. Most NY orkers would rather take your last dollar and spit on you before helping you before all this happend.

They finally made it home and we were spent. I too loaded my guns and thought holly crap whats happening. Especially after a plane hit the pentegon. For days after wards I felt like my head was in a bag of water. My wife went to alot of memorials to help her get over the fact her dad almost died. He is back to normal. He has some great stories of things that happen to him while taxit cab driving, but this one will never be beat..... I hope!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was on a service call at Safety-Klean in Mason, Michigan. I was working on a Cisco router. At the time when the first then the second plane hit the Towers, I was on a conference call with a Tech from Texas and another from South Carolina. It was interesting to hear from others parts of the country as to what was happening.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I was at work on that morning. I work down in Detroit in one of the jails.
I got a call saying a plane hit the WTC, which my co-workers and I thought it was just a prop plane. We checked the internet and reports came in saying a second plane hit.....in college, I took a class "Domestic Terrorism" to fullfill a requirement (Research Methods) in which we discussed something like this happening. It hit me hard, had to see a TV. So, my crew and I went into the break room and watched New York in terror. Then came the pictures of the Pentagon....it finally hit me. The facilty went into "lockdown" mode, nobody in or out. I hung out w/the Sheriffs watching TV and watching the crowds of people run through the streets of Detroit. Mounted police came out to secure the Court and City buildings...then romours starting coming out that the Ambassator Bridge had a bomb on it and that the county and federal buildings are being targeted.....w/all the panic, I just stayed put. After three hours, of listening to the radio and checking out the net, I got to leave (its nice to have friends in high places). The streets of Detroit were EMPTY, I was expecting to see tumble weeds...not a single car was in the streets. Mounted police stopped me and asked what I was doing, I showed them my county ID and said going home. I drove along I-94...and errie sight, hardly anybody was out. And the most unfortgetable sight was passing Metro Airport. The enterances and exits to the Airport were blocked w/fully armed police units. And not a single airplane was in the air. It just struck me. Metro was shut down. I got home and kissed my better half and told her I was alright. We watched the TV all night long, just holding each other and crying.
I'll never forget that day........
That deer season my hunting buddy and I were walking along the Au Sable river, and old logging trail when we heard squaking above us. We stopped and looked up to see two bald eagles soaring and "playing". They both landed at their nest and stood proud and strong. Freedom and pride. I wiped the tears from my eye and told my hunting buddy that we were truely blessed to see such and event, in nature. That night up at the bar, we gave a toast to all that died on 9-11 and to the two eagles, flying the Freedom they have and displaying the Pride we all have in us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts