Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a tough night on the river Friday. We hooked up with two nice fish but off when he came up and jumped 5 feet from the starboard side of the boat. I got a decent look at him and would guess he was around 50" or so. The second one we unfortunately never got to see. Hooked him around 11:30 and he bulldogged. Took one run out towards the middle of the river and then turned right and swam straight downstream and never stopped. I had plenty of line, but asked my brother to go pull the anchor so we could chase the fish. Unfortunately, as I neared the dacron backing on my reel, my braided mainline cut down into the backing near the edge of the real, killing the drag, and the fish broke off.

Of all the fish we've hooked, we've only had two that have decided to swim straight downstream. I've learned that when they do that, the only option is to chase them. Unfortunately, we didn't get to the anchor quick enough this time.

Tight lines,

Jeremy

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
do you have a quick release anchor with an anchor buoy to pick it back up? (kinda like a mooring buoy, just temporary). i've only seen it in the salt but i figure that could help with making it simple.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Glad you hooked into a couple anyway. I just learned that feeling this year as I watched the line disappear from my reel. Don't know if I should congratulate or console you. I think there are some big fish to be had yet this year. Gotta watch out for the sturgeon queen though, she is tough to beat.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MSUICEMAN, believe me, the quick release anchor idea was in discussion after the fish got away. I believe Sturge has mentioned that idea in the past as well.

Treeman, I think you are right, there are more big fish to be had. I really could use one soon so I forget about the "big one that got away."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Jeremy, I have had braid cut down into the line left on the spool as well when the drag is set a little too heavy and large sturgeon do the big runs. I found that not cranking the drag down and just using my thump to add additional drag often works just as good as letting the reel and drag do all the work. I have pretty much stuck to heavy mono, Maxima, but you do loose the sensitivity compared to braid.

·
Administrator
27,235 Posts
While fighting a big one, I continually adjust the drag as need be. If it wants to run, I loosen it just a bit. While it lets me gain ground, I tighten a bit.

Its back and forth until it tires when I can bring it to the boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts