Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an earlier post titled" What a day",RudeDog stated he had taken a bird with an 8 inch beard but no spurs and another had also.Any input on this? Could it have been a very early hatched bird from last year? Got me curious.

·
Premium Member
8,061 Posts
What were the fans like? Full mature fans or jake fans.

Spur less adults are a freak of nature. With 8 inches of beard I would guess it was just that.

A couple winters ago my buddy had a group of mature toms hanging around the spin feeder in his back yard. I was standing in the house watching them. I could see the spurrs on all but one of them. When they finally came up to clean up under his bird feeder out side the window I got a good look at it's legs. NO spurs NO bumps No nothing. It was definately an adult.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
While not common it does occur in a certain percentage of the turkey population. Like a bearded hen or an antlered doe, something unusual to have in your arsenal of hunting stories.:D

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Didn't have spures. It had a 10" beard with 3 long hairs sticking out that made the beard 12 1/2" long until I pull on them to see if they were attacked, they were but I pulled a little to hard and they came out. I didn't think they would come out that easily. O'well live and learn. Here is his picture.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
The one pictured above looks like a gobbler, with the dark coloration and bright wing feather markings, but hens grow beards a lot more often than people think, and any bird with a beard but no spurs could be mistaken as a male when it's a female. Some people can't tell the difference. In fact, a lot of people can't.

It's legal to take bearded hens, but I like to remind people that by doing so in the spring they're also taking out a whole bunch of future potential gobblers, because she probably has a nest...take the hens in the fall.

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
Two years ago my dad killed a Tom with a full fan, 9" beard and only bumps for spurs. I think this occurs more often than people think. I will say that it wasnt the biggest turkey in the world either. Id say it was likely an early hatch.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
My bird from last year had NO spurs, yet was a mature 3 year old with a 10.5" beard. Just a freak thing, but it sure knocks the score down a little! :sad:

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And my turkey education continues!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts