Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a pump back up gun second to my SBE II. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the three mentioned above. I am a lefty so that throws a twist in my selection. I like the BPS because it's an under eject/feed. The 870 is nice as well except I don't think they make their lefty model in synthetic stock. The nova feels great but is only offered in a righty. I just need to figure out what to blow my money on for a second scatter gun.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I've owned all 3 and would suggest the Nova.
I loved my bps but field take down forget it. Pita to clean and reassemble..
The novas are well made and have the easiest disassembly out there. IMO super Nova.
The 870 just seems like a cheap version of the gun they've made for decades. Poor quality loose and sloppy components

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
If you can find an older 870 Express, I would pick one up. However; being a lefty, you cannot go wrong with a BPS. My bro in law has one and I've shot his about as much as I've shot my 870 in my lifetime, and it is a really nice shooting, dependable shotgun.

I've shot a bunch of Nova's and my best explanation of how it feels to shoot one is "where do I put the duct tape?" after pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't like the look of the nova but it has been flawless. On the other hand the bps is nice for left handed shooters because of the bottom eject.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
I have all three and all three are solid guns. The one draw back to the BPS is you cannot dissasemble it. Very complicated and the manual says to only disassemble if your a gun smith. I can field strip the 870 or the Nova in the field if need be. Nova requires no tools to do this.outside the magazine retainer cap that holds the spring in. Other than that, you can tear down all moving parts and in a timely fashion. I haul my Nova most of the time.

·
Registered
17,999 Posts
When I have to (I prefer my 20 pump) hang with the big guns in our group (X2, SBE's) I shoot my 3.5" BPS stalker. It's a sweet gun, reliable as hell, and puts up with all kinds of abuse, and I shoot it even better than my custom stocked A390.

As said above though, cleaning one is a headache. I've put it in the shower and then used a hair dryer to warm it up enough to cook out all the water.

If you get the BPS, handle both the 26" and 28" barrels. I found the 28" way too front heavy for me and went with the 26".

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I love my Nova. I don't think I would recommend anything else for a pump shotgun. They aren't much to look at, and the forends are a little big in your hand. However, durability, functionality, versatility, and quality of workmanship are top notch for a pump.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I have a SuperNova for turkey and it is prone to not eject. Luckily I haven't had the need for more than one shot yet.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
I will note my Nova is a 3 1/2" version before the dubbed super nova. Not sure if there is any difference other than the look of the super nova, but ive had no issues with my gun outside a weak magazine spring which i gotta believe is a pretty rare problem. Outside of that, flawless.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've shot a bunch of Nova's and my best explanation of how it feels to shoot one is "where do I put the duct tape?" after pulling the trigger.
Exactly how I feel about today's 870. Its a real P.O.S., can't believe they're actually calling it an 870. :rant:

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Exactly how I feel about today's 870. Its a real P.O.S., can't believe they're actually calling it an 870. :rant:
Havent handled a new one, but i hope to god its not as bad as their 887. That thing was a train wreck. Owned it about a week.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Havent handled a new one, but i hope to god its not as bad as their 887. That thing was a train wreck. Owned it about a week.
yeah was an 870 lover til last season. I had just picked up a new 870 mag....junk. already sold it. its sucks too because my old 870 SPS is beat...its on its last 2 legs and i gotta do something for a gun this season. I use the SPS as a backup mainly now days. I don't think it can take another full season on the flats so i left in NoDak last year so i can fly there if need be with less hassle.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I now shoot a Browning O/U. I had shot my 870 for a number of years and before that I shot an ithaca model 37 which is a bottom eject. I shot that in 20, 16 and 12 gage, I never had a problem with any of them, I went to the 870 because the Ithaca was only made in a 2 3/4" and I wanted to go to the 3" mag. The browning has made me a better shot as I no longer waste the second shot knowing I only have two in the gun. The Ithaca has a much smoother action then the Browning, unless you can find one of the old wing master 870s. the way the gun fits you is far more important then any other requirement IMHO. I shoot the O/U with one barrel modified the other skeet #1. I only shoot birds over the decoys at about 12 to 20 yards. I do have modified and improved barrels for hunting divers on the big water. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I shoot a bps mag and love it.. i like the bottom ejection so im not chasing hulks around. I have used it with #9 skeet loads to 00 buck. Never had a jam and for awhile i was putting 300 rrounds a week in at the skeet range

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I have a SuperNova for turkey and it is prone to not eject. Luckily I haven't had the need for more than one shot yet.
I shot everything out of my super Nova and had no issues. Id have a Smith look at the ejector.

Loved my bps 28". Softest pump on the shoulder nice well balanced gun. But the tear down is a huge draw back. If my Nova had a 28" barrel I would've never sold it.

Novas do look and feel different you have to give it a fair try before tossing it aside because its different.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts