Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What round is everyone using in their 870 rifled barrel for slugs?

I'm currently running 3" Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot slugs with pretty decent success, but the price per round/box is getting crazy ($3.80 a round/$19 a box).

Between sight-in & the firearm season, I need a little less than 2 boxes, so I'm looking for a less expensive alternative round. Part of me though thinks why bother.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Remington Copper Solid 2 3/4"Saboted.
You really do not need a 3" slug but its a free country.
Thats what I used to use, with good accuracy, until Hornady came out with the SST's which shoot very well. Now I just use my muzzleloader.

J-

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I have had good results on the range with the Remington BuckHammer.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Lightfields!!!

Tried them last year after all the suggestions on here.

Worked fine, blew apart the doe's neck upon impact. (Yes, was aiming at her neck, only shot I had.) Easy tracking job, she dropped right there.:lol:

·
Registered
430 Posts
We tried the SST slugs in 3 different guns 2 870's and a browning gold hunter, all with rifled barrels... not very consistant. ( BTW willing to trade for buckhammers, I have 2 boxes) I am really hoping to find cheaper ammo also as the prices of the partition gold is getting rediculous $19 / box.

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Every gun will shoot different. Its a little expensive, but when I bought my 870, I also bought about 5 or 6 different kind of 3" slugs(3 or 4 boxes each) to shoot through it and see which shot best. Obiously thats alot of build up in the barrel, not to mention the arm soreness.:yikes: I sighted it in initially with the cheapest loads since those would be the most shot to start with. I cleaned it between shootings, and only shot 1 brand at a time. After all was said and done, the winchester supreme sabots shot the best for me and my gun. I think that the best way to find what your gun prefers. Its expensive in the beginning, but in the long run you'll be confident in your hunt and know you have the best tools for the job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For my 870 i use buckhummers as well with decent accuracy ( 3 inches at 100 yards). The other round that performed well on the same gun was the 2 and 3/4 hastings. Probably a little better than the buckhammer. The difference in my case was the energy of the buckhammer is something else ( amazing entrance and exit hole on the deer )

·
Registered
344 Posts
you might want to try hastings sluggs very similiar to lightfields but have better range and seem to group better plus cost about 11.00 to 12.00 per box check dunhams

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I shoot the core-lokts, like them out of my 870 w/ hastings barrel, but I might look at the lightfields. Someone once told me that you couldn't/shouldn't shoot coppersolids out of rifled barrles because the way the petals come off my screw up the rifling?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I use 2 3/4" barns expanders. I have had really good luck with them. The only problem with them is as with all ammo the price has really shot up this year. Consistantly 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards no problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've used Lightfields for several years and shot deer out to 100 yds with no problems. I sight in every year and have groups of 3 inches or less at 100 yds with a hastings barrel, cantelever and 4x scope.

The longest walk a deer has taken was about 30 yds. I don't know how he did it with the damage the shot did. In each case, the entrance and exit is about a half inch but the shock wave internally has completely destroyed the soft tissue of the lungs. I highly recommend the Lightfields.

I use 2 3/4 inch, rifled slugs.

Ssl

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Remington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded 20 ga. 2 3/4", no need going to the 3 inch, since there is nothing to gain, except more recoil. The Winchester Partition Gold Sabots print about the same on paper (since the slug is the same weight and velocity 1900fps). I've dropped four deer with the Core Lokt's, not a one made it more than 10 yards before piling up DOA.

Shoot em' all and see what prints the best for you. The price of a box of slugs is small, in the event you have a shot of a buck of a life time. How's it go? "ALWAYS BE PREPARED".

You owe it to yourself and the game your hunting to make the best ethical and humane shot possible. Enough question/answers...Go to the range and see what works in your gun and stick with that.:SHOCKED:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts