Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Yeah, we know, if you read some of the other threads, you'll see where most of us stand on this issue. Its B.S. quite frankly.

·
Banned
3,866 Posts
Can you post a link to where it says what lakes and streams are affected?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Isn't it amazing how 100 year old regulations are still around. There is no sound biological proof that gear restrictions even make a difference. The ignorant fact is that some idiot somewhere in the vast state of Michigan wants their own private trout stream and the DNR backs that person up. Thus the reason I do most of my fishing in the dark so I can get away from such idiots.

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Write now I do not have a electric copy of the handbooks when I do I will do a post on it with all the info for you guys. I would have to hand type everything like I did on my blog and I don't want to mess up anything and give out the wrong the answers and info.

·
Banned
3,866 Posts
Thanks.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Write now I do not have a electric copy of the handbooks when I do I will do a post on it with all the info for you guys. I would have to hand type everything like I did on my blog and I don't want to mess up anything and give out the wrong the answers and info.
So is there a sincere desire to pass along updated gear restriction information here or are you rubbing our faces in these new regs ? I just sense an agenda here but if I am wrong feel free to rip in to me.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
82.5 miles of gear restrictions!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! Imagine all the miles of streams without gear restrictions!!!!!:coolgleam

Ganzer
Because they don't need them..... just like the 82.5 miles they just added. Go figure.

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK here is the pages from the 2011 Fishing Handbook. Let me know if I am missing any of the pages I am pretty sure I got them all.The changes are in Red. And for the record I have no horse in this race just thought I would get the info out there to you guys.

Trout Regs

·
Administrator
40,932 Posts
Please send me the PDF so we can post it here.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Hey ganzer, how bout this, since you want your own private waters for fly f ishing, how about you pay an extra $100 for your license, since you are stealing fish from the common public? Would that make it fair then???

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
82.5 miles of gear restrictions!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! Imagine all the miles of streams without gear restrictions!!!!!:coolgleam

Ganzer
Okay, fair enough. Now let's say no fly fishing in the rest of the streams. No? Thought so.

Ganzer fly only anglers can fish 100% of MI"s rivers, just like bait anglers. When it comes to gear restrictions they only want such regs on the very best of our trout waters. I've asked before and I'll ask again..........IF one of the purposes of gear restrictions, and especially flies only regs, is to "safe" trout then why aren't they applied to marginal trout streams. You have an excellent candidate not far from your property............the Big South Br. of the PM and also the White R.

The answer is obvious, gear reg proponents only want the very best, what used to be called Blue Ribbon Trout Streams (the designation is no longer used by our DNR). This also brings up one of the reasons for flies only water and that is the challenge of fly fishing....yes, I've gone from gear restrictions to flies only, but THAT is what the purist form of fly anger would really want, but know they can no longer get. If challenge is a part of the mix then by applying flies only...okay gear regs....to the Big South Br. of the PM would seem, to this trout angler, like it would offer a most challenging of challenges. It'll never happen of course.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
These split seasons and slot limits that they will have on the restricted sections of the PM will be quite the treat to figure out. I expect there will be a bit of confusion the first year.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.