Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A distant relative bought me a box of 8 shot for xmas i was wondering if this would be capable to kill rabbits?? I usually use 4 or 6, so can i use these shells or just hope we get a dove season next fall?? BTW this is for a 20ga.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I don't hunt rabbits much anymore. BOY I use to, 3days a week, for a long time. I would not use 8s. I guess if you keep your shots down to 20 or 25 yds and try to shoot if front of the rabbit so the edge of shot pattern hits the rabbit in the head, which is what I do with any shot size, 8s would be ok, but at long ranges you are going to put to many shot into a rabbit and I don't like to eat a rabbit that is shot up. The trick is kill the rabbit with as few shot as possible. Now if I go I take a 4/10 with 4s in a Thomson contender, or my 11/48 rem. 4/10 with 4s.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I was using 7 1/2 shot in my single shot .410 just last weekend....took 5 bunnies in 2 days. The one's I missed were my fault and not due to the shot. That shot seemed to only penetrate the hide and not much further. Never had to put a second shot into one. I would think 8's would be just fine. It's a matter of preference though and there's only one way to find out....BANG!

·
Registered
314 Posts
5 or 6 shot seems to work best for me.

Higher number shot ie 7 1/2 or 8 means more pellets per load(standard 12ga low brass= 1 oz of shot). More pellets per load means more pellets in the meat. On the other side ie low number shot which is bigger pellets I've had the big pellets take to much "fur" into the meat.

One thing that seems to be over looked is "choke". I prefer IC or improved cyclinder.....a nice wide pattern of 12 or 20 ga 5 or 6's gives good kills and with the wide pattern does not give a lot of meat damage!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts