Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clients today from Grand Blanc, MI, enjoyed a nice day on Saginaw Bay while catching their limits of walleyes. The day didn't start off so great though with winds in the 20 knot range from the southwest, but it died down to the upper teens by the time we departed and about mid mourning the winds died down to the mid-teens bringing the waves down from threes and fours to twos and threes. The bite today started off pretty decent with six in the box on the first pass. After that though, when the winds died down, the bite stalled for a while, but then picked up and my clients were limited out by a little past noon. Yesterday my clients from the Hillman/Atlanta, MI area, only managed 11 in the box on an all day charter, so today's bite was certainly better. We caught all our fish today on spinner/crawler rigs trolled a few feet off bottom at 1.7 to 1.8 mph. We were the only boat going out of the Au Gres ramp this morning and we only had one boat fishing near us, who was a buddy of mine. We fished in 25 to 29 feet of water. The color did not mater at all today as everything got hit about early from natural colors to bright florescent. We caught most of our fish off the six Church Walleye Boards, but the two flat lines I ran probably contributed 25% if the fish to the box too. This is not easy fishing now, but it is still pretty good none-the-less. I am also hearing reports of some yellow perch being caught now too, so those golden gems are starting to school up near Au Gres too.

Capt. Mike Veine

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
Great report Capt. Mike and more than a few of us are particularly interested in your perch info. Hopefully will be able to get in a couple of trips to put a few in the freezer for the winter!:fish::help: We can always use good information on those "little bandits"!:bowdown: Keep up the good reports, please.

Reactions: Ralph Smith

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice report and makes me want to get back out there a couple of times yet. Was gone for most of two weeks and just getting back. Thanks.

10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should add that the fishing over the last four trips was some of the toughest of the year. The walleyes have been blown around and beaten up by blow after blow and storm after storm. I cancelled my charters for today through Thursday due to bad weather, so the nasty weather pattern we are in is still persisting. This is the most charters I've had to cancel during the summer in all the years I've been chartering. They are now widely scattered and not real cooperative with bait fish levels at yearling highs right now making them extra picky. There are also a lot of floating weeds all over the bay now and millions of bait steeling perch making things tougher too. Most of the people I have been talking too are not doing very well even when fishing where we have been doing fair. The fishing is much tougher this year compared to last year at this time when we were still taking easy limits.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I should add that the fishing over the last four trips was some of the toughest of the year. The walleyes have been blown around and beaten up by blow after blow and storm after storm. I cancelled my charters for today through Thursday due to bad weather, so the nasty weather pattern we are in is still persisting. This is the most charters I've had to cancel during the summer in all the years I've been chartering. They are now widely scattered and not real cooperative with bait fish levels at yearling highs right now making them extra picky. There are also a lot of floating weeds all over the bay now and millions of bait steeling perch making things tougher too. Most of the people I have been talking too are not doing very well even when fishing where we have been doing fair. The fishing is much tougher this year compared to last year at this time when we were still taking easy limits.
Can't have it easy all the time.

·
Premium Member
29,996 Posts
Great job and report again Mike!:) Hope those perch do school up good and we have a decent year for them.

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
No No. The walleyes ate them all.. Proof is in there belly's. LOL. View attachment 187727
A picture is worth a thousand words!:bash: Looks like you saved a few other "perchies" Eyepod, good for you. Keep up the good work and good reports!:bowdown:

Reactions: Howard Baumann

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Capt Mike, GJ in the Summer dog days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts