Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Did they stop shooting deer in the core area? On 08/06 there were 307 deer tested from the core area, same as on the 10th. Did they really only test 3 more deer between the 6th and the 10th overall?

Do they just not care anymore? Did the DNR start listening to Hillsdale Most Wanted and and decide to bury the heads in the sand?

I don't advocate the eradication but I'd still be checking every deer possible.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Did they stop shooting deer in the core area? On 08/06 there were 307 deer tested from the core area, same as on the 10th. Did they really only test 3 more deer between the 6th and the 10th overall?

Do they just not care anymore? Did the DNR start listening to Hillsdale Most Wanted and and decide to bury the heads in the sand?

I don't advocate the eradication but I'd still be checking every deer possible.
images-5.jpeg

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Sounds to me the deer are adapting to the hunting pressure, lol

Kinda like november 16th

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Sounds to me the deer are adapting to the hunting pressure, lol

Kinda like november 16th

From what I understood they are only shooting where they have access in specific parks and stuff. They aren't infringing on landowners rights or anything like that. It is possible that the areas they feel they can target without dealing with sensitive issues are wiped out......the deer that might be left in those areas very well could have adapted and moved on.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
From what I understood they are only shooting where they have access in specific parks and stuff. They aren't infringing on landowners rights or anything like that. It is possible that the areas they feel they can target without dealing with sensitive issues are wiped out......the deer that might be left in those areas very well could have adapted and moved on.
It would be ugly if it is found that some private landowners are harboring deer to keep them from being shot. Then it's really ugly if one of those harbored deer was infected. I'm not sure what the USDA or DNR would do at that point.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
It would be ugly if it is found that some private landowners are harboring deer to keep them from being shot. Then it's really ugly if one of those harbored deer was infected. I'm not sure what the USDA or DNR would do at that point.
How would anyone know that a deer that was killed or died and found to be infected was "harbored" ? Not a lot of large farms in that area where anyone could even do that if they wanted to is there ?

L & O

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
How would anyone know that a deer that was killed or died and found to be infected was "harbored" ? Not a lot of large farms in that area where anyone could even do that if they wanted to is there ?

L & O
Probably a few ways. Maybe a concerned neighbor reports a sick deer on the adjoining property's bait plot??

·
Registered
36,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will only be a matter of time before they find ground zero. It is probably some well intentioned Hunter using infected deer urine to attract deer for hunting or photos.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
It will only be a matter of time before they find ground zero. It is probably some well intentioned Hunter using infected deer urine to attract deer for hunting or photos.
Unless it's from an unlicensed, infected farm, very, very remote chance. There hasn't been any documented cases of that yet and the farms and dealers have too much to loose by not being certified and tested. If it's synthetic stuff...it ain't going to happen. With that said....I never got an email back from Code Blue confirming in writing their suppliers are certified and tested. I only got a verbal from them. I did get it written from Wildlife Research. It is also stated on their packaging.

Wildlife Research Urine - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Unless it's from an unlicensed, infected farm, very, very remote chance. There hasn't been any documented cases of that yet and the farms and dealers have too much to loose by not being certified and tested. If it's synthetic stuff...it ain't going to happen. With that said....I never got an email back from Code Blue confirming in writing their suppliers are certified and tested. I only got a verbal from them. I did get it written from Wildlife Research. It is also stated on their packaging.

View attachment 187275
You sure are putting alot of faith in that label. I am generally not the type to bring up conspiracy theories but companies intentionally mislabel products all the time. Even if a company like wildlife research does the right thing and makes their suppliers check....it would be easy for one or two to mislead them either intentionally or unintentionally.

Quality control is another issue. Anyone that works in manufacturing understands that it is impossible to be perfect. Even if a company is trying to follow procedure quality control is never perfect. It only takes one lazy employee to ignore procedures for a year and falsify documents.....or perform checks incorrectly unintentionally.

The way I understand it these companies gather their urine from many sources.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Didn't the Buckstop / Fred Trost lawsuit show us that there isn't any truth in labeling?

·
Registered
36,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deer farms have been selling urine contaminated with CWD, there is no denying that. Russ Mason has gone on record stating that contaminated deer urine could be the cause of the outbreak.

Some guys act like something can't be counterfeited and sold as the real thing. Here's a recent example of counterfeit products being sold in Michigan, there are 1,000s of other counterfeit things sold in this state too.
http://fortune.com/2015/06/19/5-hour-energy-scam/

If there is profit to be made some guys will cross the line with mislabeled and counterfeit products. Deer urine sales should be illegal in Michigan, it's too big of a risk to take.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I would never say it can't happen...just as much as I would not say the Wallymartin is not selling contaminated deer corn from Missouri and that is what started it here or in Wisconsin. Unless someone like Russ Mason has proof, I have not seen one documented case of it happening and likely neither has he. I'm all for saying ban it IF it can be proved that was the source. At this point I'm a little suspicious of knee-jerk states or agencies that point fingers at easy targets without proof. In our case I do hope the source can be traced.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
2 things here...

1....This whole cwd fiasco wreaks of ignorance and disorganization. Its lacks leadership, direction, urgency and to some extent, public secrecy. For a possible blow to a billion dollar industry in this state, there sure seems to be a lot of ho humming going on in our upper ranks...

Or # 2....This could be the most overblown non issue to hit Michigan since swinegate 6-7 years ago when Michigan was supposed to be overrun by the porkers!..Sorry for right now I'm just not that interested...

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
2 things here...

1....This whole cwd fiasco wreaks of ignorance and disorganization. Its lacks leadership, direction, urgency and to some extent, public secrecy. For a possible blow to a billion dollar industry in this state, there sure seems to be a lot of ho humming going on in our upper ranks...

Or # 2....This could be the most overblown non issue to hit Michigan since swinegate 6-7 years ago when Michigan was supposed to be overrun by the porkers!..Sorry for right now I'm just not that interested...
I vote for #2

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
2 things here...

Wow comparing cwd to feral pig issue. That is quite a stretch. I don't recall anyone ever stating that the state would be over run by hogs. The hogs are simply a nuisance to some land owners. They aren't an infectious disease.

Cwd certainly isn't a non issue in Wisconsin.....not sure why anyone would suggest it to be a non issue anywhere elese.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts