Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just booked Frank Willetts of the Pere Marquette River Lodge to do a day before school trip with my 7 year old son.

He’s fly fished once before on the Kenai River

There probably will be some kings to thrown plugs at way down low and I think Frank would do that if we wanted. But I think floating with hoppers probably would be an easier day with more regular action if we were inclined to do that?

Which do you all think would be more fun for a young angler? I’m trying to mold him into a stream angler because that’s my favorite way to fish.

His first fly caught fish that actually took a while to fight caught on an indicator rigged hares ear nymph.

Thank you!

·
Banned
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although Frank himself might be entertaining enough.

He’s ah let’s say eccentric. Lol
I’ve been to Alaska 3 times with Frank

We always have a blast and he will be great at showing my son to roll cast

It’s going to be a test to see if he’s ready to go floss sockeyes with me next year.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I’ve been to Alaska 3 times with Frank

We always have a blast and he will be great at showing my son to roll cast

It’s going to be a test to see if he’s ready to go floss sockeyes with me next year.
I let my boy do what kept him in the game fly or spin I now have the best fishing buddy ever now at 14 he is getting his skills down good luck and have fun soon he will be out on his own

·
Registered
165 Posts
It’s a quantity game with kids, so whatever gives the kid the best chance at numbers (yup floating lines and attractors/hoppers) and don’t scoff at the little ones. make a big deal out of the above way they catch those not necessarily the size of the fish. Let ‘em switch things up if that’s what it takes to keep them Interested, that’s your biggest challenge on a full day float with a 7 year old. Lastly, you are usually better off following the guides advice. They should be able to get raw beginners into fish someway/somehow. Relax and have fun, let the guide do his job, that’s why you booked them right? The kid doesn’t care what or how, that will come with time and experience, all they care about now is catching something and being with Dad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the spinning rod and Panther Martin is the ticket. It would be awesome to bring both fly and spin and switch off depending on the water. Mixing it up will also keep it fresh throughout the day. I have a 15yo that tires quickly of floating the PM when it becomes monotonous of just spinning so if we go this year I am going to bring fly gear as well for him to mix it up.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Well I'd let him pick what he likes. What really amazes me is that he's 7 already, I know I've said it before but I swear to God he was born yesterday.

Reactions: OH-YEAH!!!

·
Banned
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'd let him pick what he likes. What really amazes me is that he's 7 already, I know I've said it before but I swear to God he was born yesterday.
The time flies...

He is almost 7 going on 13 with his attitudes about not wanting to get a haircut and being certain his parents are clueless. Shockingly he kind of agreed to take a photo with the Coast Guard Fest sign this morning.

Hope you’re having a good weekend, Toto. Looks like the weather should be great the next week.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Thanks and I must admit, I"ve been on here long enough to say, it's pretty cool to see these younguns grow up.

Reactions: OH-YEAH!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Shoot, I would con Frank into zipping some plugs around in the lower. The kiddo would have a blast latching into a Chinook, lots of pike down there too if the salmon fishing is slow.

Easy casting down there for a 7 year old with a plug.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Banned
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shoot, I would con Frank into zipping some plugs around in the lower. The kiddo would have a blast latching into a Chinook, lots of pike down there too if the salmon fishing is slow.

Easy casting down there for a 7 year old with a plug.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Frank is the best and that’s a great idea.

12 more days! 😀

1 - 20 of 26 Posts