Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

7 down, 5 to go!

944 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jperry8 
#1 ·
here's a pic of slipbobber's doe shot wednesday with his muzzelloader. that makes 7 does shot between the two of us. 2 crop damage permits, 1 EAS, 2 archery, 1 gun season, 1 so far muzzelloading. this doe was taken from a group of 8 does and young ones. he passed on other groups earlier because there were 1 1/2 old bucks with them that he didn't want to educate. all total he saw 30 deer in a 2 hour sit in this 8 acre woodlot surrounded by cut corn. if anyone thinks we are shooting too many there's a reason. last year my uncle had anywhere between 30-70 deer within 200yds of his house most of the winter. needless to say my aunt's shrubs, and flower gardens took some serious hits not to mention the winter wheat damage. we could still fill 5 permits so we'll see what happens. these corn fed deer sure taste good:).

See less See more
#2 ·
You boys keep up the good work! I'm still out doing my part as well. As soon as I can drop a couple more good does that aren't among some bucks the hammer will fall. I am amazed at the number of deer I'm seeing right now. The average is around 50 a night with several bucks to boot.

#3 ·
the woodlot is covered with tracks already. i was out yesterday morning switching out my SD card on the trail cam and couldn't believe the tracks in the new snow. we must have every deer in the section coming to the cut cornfield everyday. there are just waaaay too many deer. the ground cover showed it this year. by mid august there was no green left under the canopy and the deer were hitting the beans hard. seems like just a few years ago we only saw ones and twos with deer, now theyv'e exploded and we saw 6,7,8 at a time all season. we're just doing our part and enjoying the tasty rewards:D

#4 ·
Yep it's the food source for sure. My property has an old 400 acre orchard bordering two sides of it and the deer are flooding in from all over the place right now. It's interesting to see who and what has survived. Got a couple good bucks that are limping hard but they're feeding good and they should make it. The button buck numbers are high as well. Herd control is sure in order though.

#7 ·
35! man i thought we had an overpopulation. how many acres are you managing. my grandpa's is 300 acres split by a road. roughly 1/3 on one side and 2/3 on the other. the 2/3 side had the corn this year. the neighboring properties are mostly wooded leaving his fields as the primary food souce for an entire section. of the 300 acres there is only about 15 acres wooded. some days are tough hunting, these days we've been real lucky.:D

#9 ·
35! man i thought we had an overpopulation. how many acres are you managing. my grandpa's is 300 acres split by a road. roughly 1/3 on one side and 2/3 on the other. the 2/3 side had the corn this year. the neighboring properties are mostly wooded leaving his fields as the primary food souce for an entire section. of the 300 acres there is only about 15 acres wooded. some days are tough hunting, these days we've been real lucky.:D
Only own 200 acres in two separate tracts. Both are severely overpopulated as we are really the only ones taking does in each of the sections. Once the population is down to a sustainable level we can back off but right now its pretty bad. I have a friend who manages a good sized chunk of property out of state they took 116 does last year and are trying for 175 this year.

We have taken 10 so far this season and have 25 left to go so were getting there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.