Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to the whole story

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/fishing/2012/07/july-3rds-catch-on-erie-happy-4th-of-july-to-everyone/

Best part of the trip

cept for dealing with momma nature, Tuesday turned out to be a pretty good day, once we put the spoons away. "Dragging Meat" def turned out to be the best program for us, but I do think that the storms had more than a little to do with it.

Did have to deal with one oblivious charter boat "Sea Screws" who came on with little regard for anyone in her bath, chopping away on auto pilot. If I hadnt pulled my Walleye boards in, and doing a little veering or my lines would have been run over by its big boards and cutting my lines. I know a lot of good captains on the lake who realize its a big lake, big enough without having to crowd other boats off their course.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Link to the whole story

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/fishing/2012/07/july-3rds-catch-on-erie-happy-4th-of-july-to-everyone/

Best part of the trip

cept for dealing with momma nature, Tuesday turned out to be a pretty good day, once we put the spoons away. "Dragging Meat" def turned out to be the best program for us, but I do think that the storms had more than a little to do with it.

Did have to deal with one oblivious charter boat "Sea Screws" who came on with little regard for anyone in her bath, chopping away on auto pilot. If I hadnt pulled my Walleye boards in, and doing a little veering or my lines would have been run over by its big boards and cutting my lines. I know a lot of good captains on the lake who realize its a big lake, big enough without having to crowd other boats off their course.
can u imagine if we all had auto pilot.....it would be madness...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as you can tell, it was path not bath lol. and yes its one thing to set the auto pilot when the lake is wide open, but when you come out, set your lines right for a boat that is already trolling towards you, it does get crazy

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report. We were out as well and came in due to the storm. We probably passed you in the channel. We went up to the launch. We then ventured back out after the storm passed. We ended up with 6. We had very little boat / speed control in my 18' boat in those 3 & 4 footers. Still great to get on Erie, it doesn't happen often enough for me.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Nice job Chuck! Gotta chuckle about the captains, that dont pay attention, i tell everyone on the boat, just because raymarine is driving everybody always checks forward.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trust me, the captain of that boat knew exactly where he was and where he was heading. It has nothing to do with an autopilot and everything to do with the captains attitude on other boats in HIS area, wherever it may be. Fortunately not all of them are that way, only a few.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts