Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
26,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 man limit from 6:45 or so till 11 am. Crawlers and Gulp on anything orange. Plus a couple of bass.

Used the motor mount electric as a kicker. That thing is fantastic. Nice and quite for stealth mode. Speed was 1.0 to 1.4 mph.

For the day maybe used 1 gal of gas. 1.5 mile out there and then back.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Nice job Mike. As usual, I'm running 16 miles round trip to get my fish when there are fish right out my back door. :banghead3

·
Registered
553 Posts
WALLEYE MIKE said:
2 man limit from 6:45 or so till 11 am. Crawlers and Gulp on anything orange. Plus a couple of bass.

Used the motor mount electric as a kicker. That thing is fantastic. Nice and quite for stealth mode. Speed was 1.0 to 1.4 mph.

For the day maybe used 1 gal of gas. 1.5 mile out there and then back.
Walleye Mike,

I am new to fishing LSC and I went out last night by metro and had nothing but problems with the weeds, so I ran 8 miles out. What do I need to do or use to avoid constantly getting tangled in the weeds?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey sorry to hijack a post real quick but I was wondering what you two seasoned lake veterans use for a boat in terms of size and power. I have been planning on building a new boat and would appreciate your input on what an ideal setup would be. Do you guys use the same boat for lsc and deeper water too?
BTW good job on the fish mike. (edit: looks like wcalcaterra is trying to pick your brains too)

·
Registered
553 Posts
El Diablo said:
Hey sorry to hijack a post real quick but I was wondering what you two seasoned lake veterans use for a boat in terms of size and power. I have been planning on building a new boat and would appreciate your input on what an ideal setup would be. Do you guys use the same boat for lsc and deeper water too?
BTW good job on the fish mike. (edit: looks like wcalcaterra is trying to pick your brains too)
I just purchased a Tracker Pro Guide V16 with a 50hp Merc. Its a 16.5' Deep V.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was thinking about trying tomorrow the area where Lake St. CLair and the Detroit River meet. I heard the dumping ground is pretty popular.

Which would be better: Putting in at St. Jean or driving further up to Metro and boating down? I'm heading from Dearborn.

Any advice will be welcome.:help:

·
Administrator
26,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
El Diablo said:
I got 2 boats and they are equal on the lake. 18ft deep-v Tracker/125hp and 9.9hp kicker and a 22 ft. Crestliner with cuddy.

I would go with atleast a 16ft with a 75hp. Good all around size and power.

·
Administrator
26,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wcalcaterra said:
Walleye Mike,

I am new to fishing LSC and I went out last night by metro and had nothing but problems with the weeds, so I ran 8 miles out. What do I need to do or use to avoid constantly getting tangled in the weeds?
Really didn't have much problem with the (surface)weeds. It was pretty clean out there. Just a few hung up here and there.

I did run inline boards off my side of the boat. Had 3 fish in the first 20 min.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks wcalcaterra.
I'm thinking of building the widebody version of the Tolman skiff.
http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/
I want my next boat to be a good all around bigger boat for trolling walleye/salmon/musky. The Tolman is pretty light and seaworthy but I was wondering if it might be too much boat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just saw your post Mike. Thanks for your input. Sounds like a deep-v is the way to go. Thanks for listing length and power ideals.

·
Registered
553 Posts
WALLEYE MIKE said:
Really didn't have much problem with the (surface)weeds. It was pretty clean out there. Just a few hung up here and there.

I did run inline boards off my side or the boat. Had 3 fish in the first 20 min.
So were you out infront of metro? I was out infront of Ginos in 10fow and I was dragging weeds from the bottom the whole time.

I had a bottom bouncer and crawler harness on.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
just clip the tops of the weeds that are on the bottom, don't drag through them. the fish will come out and ambush. can't really do anything about the tall weeds or floating weeds if they are in there.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
weed growth in tight by Gino's is always heavier. try lining yourself upwith beacon cove and troll between the sailboat ramp and the pointe. weed growth isnt too bad there and its usually productive.

how big are the bootom bouncers you are using and how fast are you trolling?
Brian

wcalcaterra said:
So were you out infront of metro? I was out infront of Ginos in 10fow and I was dragging weeds from the bottom the whole time.

·
Administrator
26,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wcalcaterra said:

Sounds like you were dragging you harenesses. I was using 1/4 oz of weight(inline) 30-50 behind the boat

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I really think the electric is the way to go specially in shallow water. Those walleye spook easy (Unless you have a 4 stroke). Also nice not having to suck in fumes all day. I would definetly buy a auto-pilot on my next one standing up front is a little challenging on those rough days.

Hey mike how deep were you?

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
i hear ya milldoo. i bought an electric bow mount last year and i am kicking myself for not buying an auto pilot. i never thought about using it for trolling, that what i use for now 90% of the time. i am going to look for them in the offseason to go on sale.
Brian

MillDoo said:
I really think the electric is the way to go specially in shallow water. Those walleye spook easy (Unless you have a 4 stroke). Also nice not having to suck in fumes all day. I would definetly buy a auto-pilot on my next one standing up front is a little challenging on those rough days.

Hey mike how deep were you?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Radiohead,

I have a minnkota AP 55lb 12v if you are interested PM me.

Chris

·
Registered
553 Posts
radiohead said:
weed growth in tight by Gino's is always heavier. try lining yourself upwith beacon cove and troll between the sailboat ramp and the pointe. weed growth isnt too bad there and its usually productive.

how big are the bootom bouncers you are using and how fast are you trolling?
Brian
1oz. and I am trolling around 1-1.3mph

·
Registered
553 Posts
SPARTY8607 said:
Radiohead,

I have a minnkota AP 55lb 12v if you are interested PM me.

Chris
I have a 42lb 12V Minkota, but thanks

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
i think he was talking to me about the Minn Kota.

I usually use 3/4 oz over in that area. if you are in heavy weeded areas switch over to inline weights or splitshots so you can skip along the tops of the weeds.

Brian

wcalcaterra said:
I have a 42lb 12V Minkota, but thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts