Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about driving from Lansing up to wade 6th Street Tuesday the 19th. I see the flow rate is pretty high. Is it too dangerous to wade right now? Don't want to make the drive and not be able to fish
Randy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have only waded there twice so I am far from an expert but last week the gauge was reading less than 4 ft and the parking lot was full and guys were wading all over. Today the gauge is reading over 6 ft. I was down there today and there was plenty of room to park and the few guys I saw were on shore or VERY near shore.

Tightlines

·
Registered
155 Posts
Was there today couple people. In water but it was rippin still going up too....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was thinking about driving from Lansing up to wade 6th Street Tuesday the 19th. I see the flow rate is pretty high. Is it too dangerous to wade right now? Don't want to make the drive and not be able to fish
Randy

I would not chance it. Water flowing that fast and that high isnt worth it. I'd wait until next week. Or maybe this weekend the fish will still be there. Potentially more with all the rain we got. But thats just my $.02

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank guys, that is exactly the kind of info I needed
Randy

·
Registered
693 Posts
Do not try wading it this high.

Even if you are a big guy, comfortable wading high flows, have a staff, cleats etc...I would strongly suggest not wading it any where near these flows.

You might be able to inch in a few yards from shore and fish little spots close to shore 'carefully'...but don't plan on doing any real wading.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Ya, we are at over 6,000 cfs right now. Not safe to wade, but try casting from shore. There are some nice pockets where fish hold that are easily castable from shore especially in this high water.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can shore fishermen get into any real numbers or is it boat guys that do most of the pounding on fish? Would sixth street be the best bet to try from shore or maybe look into the rogue? Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to mention and unmentionable.

Thanks for the info...it'll be my first trip to the Grand and fishing 6th street. My old man and I plan to start their and eventually work our way towards the St. Joes river. I am from Wisconsin so i'm pretty excited to see what the west side is like. Fishing in Wisconsin has been pretty piss poor. No numbers of steel have worked their ways into our river systems yet, and im getting too eager to wait.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Can shore fishermen get into any real numbers or is it boat guys that do most of the pounding on fish? Would sixth street be the best bet to try from shore or maybe look into the rogue? Thanks!
If you know the spots you can do just fine from shore.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to mention and unmentionable.

Thanks for the info...it'll be my first trip to the Grand and fishing 6th street. My old man and I plan to start their and eventually work our way towards the St. Joes river. I am from Wisconsin so i'm pretty excited to see what the west side is like. Fishing in Wisconsin has been pretty piss poor. No numbers of steel have worked their ways into our river systems yet, and im getting too eager to wait.
Be careful with your old man and wading in the grand. That can get pretty tricky at times especially if you don't know the river and with the rain we have had. Best advice is to just talk to the people down there. For the most part they will give you some advice. All the knowledge I have gained at 6th street has been from the people that go there a lot.

Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Limpinglogan I don't know the river at all so it will be a new experience. Iv heard it can be a little more challenging reading the river and finding holes since it is a dirtier water color.

jmaddog8807, I will be sure to ask locals for some basic info and I will be extremely cautious around the river.

I wish I could learn how to send some pictures on this site. Havent found out how to do so.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good luck on your trip to Michigan. If you would like any help along the way please feel free to pm me. I'm no expert but have spent a lot of time on the rivers of west Michigan.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Limpinglogan I don't know the river at all so it will be a new experience. Iv heard it can be a little more challenging reading the river and finding holes since it is a dirtier water color.

jmaddog8807, I will be sure to ask locals for some basic info and I will be extremely cautious around the river.

I wish I could learn how to send some pictures on this site. Havent found out how to do so.

Thanks again everyone!
one of the last forums explains photo posting ,quite detailed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts