Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over to 6th street a couple of weeks ago and tried fishing by the dam and I didn't have any luck with the way I was rigged up, kept getting snagged up. I run 10 lb main line with a sliding slinkey to a barrel swivel, then about 3-4 foot 8lb leader. does anyone have any other ideas? I saw a couple of other guys running 3 way swivels. I normally don't just let my bait just sit with a tight line but it looks like that is the way everyone fishes up buy the dam. any help or sugjestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You have the right rig. I'd shorten the leader a little to avoid foul hooking. There are many snags down there and with experience you will know how to avoid them. Stick with that rig and don't try to mimic other things you see down there. Many salmon are snagged at 6th st. Don't switch to two flies and an 8 foot leader because the guy next to you is "hooking" fish.

·
Registered
54 Posts
At least the gents at the bubbler don't snag fish. Salmon usually don't headshake in the bubbler when they are fair hooked too. (Sarcasm detected). I think you need to be an expert snagger and have over a .08 blood alcohol level to fish the bubbler. What a joke!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I definitely agree w/ Nighttimer. You got the right rig, but does it match the rod/reel you're using? I've been using an 8 1/2' Browning med/heavy action rod w/ 8# main and 6# leader (2-3') and have been losing fish all season. I decided to break out the 9' St. Croix light/noodle that I use for steelies and found it much more sensitive (duh!). What I'm getting at is, with a more sensitive rod (not necessarily more $), you can feel the actual hits and weed out the "bumps". Went 1 for 2 tonight (5 1/2# coho) and had a great time! And if it's your thing, don't be afraid to have a couple "pops" in the water. Just don't over-do it. That water's dangerous!!

Good luck...Sid

·
Registered
1 Posts
::::What I'm getting at is, with a more sensitive rod (not necessarily more $), you can feel the actual hits and weed out the "bumps".

Just curious...
Is there any way to tell which are which? Do the fish often pick the hook up and drop it?

Now granted at the point it won't be the easiest for me to tell anyway(not getting the new fly rod till next year...$$:)) but I was just curious.

Thanks
-rick

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
"Is there any way to tell which are which? Do the fish often pick the hook up and drop it?"

I'm no expert by any means, I've just gotten the feel for it through hours spent out there. I couldn't really say if they ever drop it or not. As far as the more sensitive rod goes, it makes it easier to distinguish between bottom, bumps and hits since you can feel pretty much everything. You'll know when you get that new flyrod! With the heavier rod, everything tends to feel the same. The only reason I bought it was that I didn't want to break a $100 rod! I guess that one will be designated for pier-fishing.
Good luck...Sid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts