Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be up fishing the lakes around torch lake next week. Mainly to just have a good time on the water. Going to mainly fish for smallies, but would like to try for Muskies because I've never even seen one, let alone caught one. So would 6lb test be too light? And if so, what poundage should I go with?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
6 pound might be pushing it..I wouldn't go lighter than 10 for muskies but ould probably use 20 pound braid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I suggest have a second rod rigged with 20#+ line, if fishing smallies and you see a musky follow you can make a quick switch.

With the right drag and rod you can land a big fish on light line but you can also fight them to death by the time you get them to the boat.

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
Do you think light tackle takes too much out of the fish? When returned, do they have a decreased chance of recovery?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll bring an extra rod with 20# line. At least then I won't have to worry about it. What kind of lures should I be looking at for Muskies? I mainly be casting from a boat, but I might try some trolling if I feel like just sitting and relaxing for a bit.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
In this warm of water temps it is never a good idea to fight a fish for that long if you can help it. If you are going to try and target muskie, target them. If you don't want to go to heavy just use heavy Northern Pike tackle and you will be good.

Heavy Power rod, 30lb braid min, cast 3/4oz daredevils and 6 inch long inline spinners.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having a hell of a time finding big lures around here (GR area) I'm hoping I'll find some when I'm up there. Also, would I have the same chances at catching Northerns too? Or do those lake have mostly Muskies?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I think I'll bring an extra rod with 20# line. At least then I won't have to worry about it. What kind of lures should I be looking at for Muskies? I mainly be casting from a boat, but I might try some trolling if I feel like just sitting and relaxing for a bit.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

i almost broke 20# braid on a pike the other day the pike almost riped the rod out of my hands when it did this .a little 25.5 incer lol's

try trolling dare devils in: five of diamonds, black and white my favroite, and red and white some spinner baits like mepps musky killers with some keel sinkers to get spinnner baits down to them. like 1/2once to 4 once. put the keel sinker 5-10 foot up from the spinner bait jointed deep husky jerks ,even live bait trolling rigs off planer boards.

casting frogs like they sell at sportmens direct and jonson silver minnows with prok strips from uncle joshes i like white spinning stripps i do, spinner baits weed less or non-weedless spinners or lures,

look up water plants like coon tail and cabbage broard leafed plants and fish them if there is a lot of them troll the weed edges or fish them with casting in to them or by them the best you can. even water rice we usaly look for wild water rice when we head up to canada. it is different every ware do your research before you head out! check out infishermens web site and do searches on how to locate pike muskies and predatory fish even half.com has books on the subject from infishermen for 1/4 of retail price. any ways hope all goes well wish ya the best.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
IMO, good sense should prevail. If you are fishing in relatively clear water with no rocks, snags, etc., you could easily use 6 but at what price for the fish? Just like as in runners and other long effort athletes, negative fluids build in muscles the longer and harder they are used. What is the thrill of bringing in a large fish after a prolonged fight to see it go belly up when you try to release it? Use reasonable effort with reasonable gear, take the pics, and let it go so someone can have the fun you did... If you are meat fishing, the rules change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm having a hell of a time finding big lures around here (GR area) I'm hoping I'll find some when I'm up there. Also, would I have the same chances at catching Northerns too? Or do those lake have mostly Muskies?
There are large selection in se Michigan ..bass pro and even crappy gm on hall road has a great selection of musky equipment.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Retired
3,347 Posts
Al & Bob's carries a small selection of musky tackle.

I believe Gander Mountain does also.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Definitely need heavier line then 6#. I also suggest a leader if targeting musky as they like to whip their tails around and break the line. At a minimum 20# Fireline is what I suggest. We've caught them on St. Clair with simple spinnerbaits. But honestly, you really need the bigger tackle. This is what I suggest for starters: http://www.selecttacklecompany.com/lures/musky-and-pike/bucktails/double-showgirl. These can be found at Dick's Sporting Goods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts