Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've talked on the site before about odd road kill locations but the legend of 696 and VanDyke continues to grow.

There's a dead doe against the eastbound median wall, must be from last night as I didn't notice it yesterday afternoon. It's the third deer I've seen hit right there in the last 6 or so years. All were within about 50 yds either way from the eastbound on ramp there at VanDyke.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I live around 14 & hayes and there's a decent population of deer around. I see them off of 14 mile by hayes, Vandyke, mound and along the power line route along the Clinton river and on the golf course. Last year there were two legitimate shooter bucks sun bathing under a tree at 14 & mound on the NW corner in the wood lot. These deer must of gotten wiser to the road crossings because they seem to be growing in population without seeing so may hit.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I saw a doe last year at this time dead on the east bound 696 and Mound exit ramp. nothing much in that area either.
Just returned from upnorth today and south bound I-75 about 1 1/2-2 miles north of Bristol rd there was a buck dead along the inside freeway divider. I looked around and there is nothing but a big Gm plant I believe with factories and residential everywhere. Makes you wonder where how they survive in these populated areas for as long as they do.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
They must not be in there right mind to go around that ca motion... Better check them for cwd.... Sharp shooters will be moving in before you know it...

·
Registered
105 Posts
About 10 years ago off maple road wich is half mile from the plant, there were quite a few deer in those thickets my uncles yard backed up to there you would be surprised where u can find deer. I also have even seen them in other places in flint city limits.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Does GM tech center still have that population of deer?

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a small section of woods next to the hospital at 11 mile and Dequindre; I saw eight standing at the edge last month and have also seen them from my balcony across the street.

·
Administrator
35,876 Posts
I'm always amazed when I see one down on 696 where it has walls for miles. Makes me wonder how they make it that far.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Don't forget the train tracks, in that area it would be the best travel routes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Theres a nice section of woods and creek along Chicago right at 13mile. Ive frequently seen deer around. Was driving on Chicago from Hoover towards 13mile and had to break as it was in a full run across the street and into the woods. Good size buck too..

·
Super Moderator
37,764 Posts
`14 mile corridor is loaded with deer from Utica Rd to Mound. One Sunday morning about 0500 the wife and I had a number of deer come up out of the Red Run drain, right onto NB Van Dyke, we followed them for almost 1/2 mile before they ran into a subdivision.
Utica Road from Hayes to Schoenherr is crazy thick with deer.
Some spectacular bucks every year in the Moravian/ Schoenherr area.
We go out at dusk looking for deer. The powerline corridors along the Red Run and Clinton really hold some great deer.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Saw one about a month ago on 696 E directly across from the zoo....I don't even know where to start thinking how that happend.

·
Premium Member
31,300 Posts
I'm always amazed when I see one down on 696 where it has walls for miles. Makes me wonder how they make it that far.
They probably get on the freeway by using the entrance ramps just like the occasion dog. Once they are on the freeway, they get confused and can't find their way out.

dlawrence1, my daughter lives in a sub on the NW corner of 14 and Hayes. Behind her house is one of those large retention ponds that the back yards back up to. One day I was standing on their patio when I noticed two deer, mama and youngster walk to the pond. I went to get the kids to show them, but the deer had wandered off before the kids came out. I should have snapped a picture.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
There was a doe in early May on WB 696 just past Evergreen. Was there a few weeks before they picked it up. 2 days after it was picked up, a fresh one was in the exact same spot. That one only was there a day or so.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is hardly news. Deer get hit by cars in Detroit every day.

Sorry to rob you of your valuable time by forcing you to read this post and comment on it.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
There was a doe in early May on WB 696 just past Evergreen. Was there a few weeks before they picked it up. 2 days after it was picked up, a fresh one was in the exact same spot. That one only was there a day or so.
I remember seeing that and wondering why that deer hadn't decomposed more - must of caught that 2nd kill at just the right time.

I see deer in Royal Oak quite a bit in one specific area (some very nice bucks too).

A few coyotes and foxes around here as well

1 - 20 of 27 Posts