Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
14,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did one big drift this even from above the state park down to the Harsens ferry. Fish still want shiny blades with the bright sun and clear water. Boated 9 eyes and a white perch, plus one pop off and a few misses. Only one eye came from the North Channel, but by then the sun was down so maybe a color change was warranted. The current was also unusual slow in the North Channel. I’ve been getting fish there with SOG in the 2.2-2.2 mph range, but anything today over 1.8 mph and I couldn’t stay on bottom without upping my weight. Wind was very calm there, but wind or air pressure changes on one end of the river or other was doing something funny.

· Administrator
18,846 Posts
We had the jig bite going on the river as well last night. I had my limit on the first drift and did C&R waiting for the others to catch up. Ended up putting around 25 in the boat and 18 in the box. Nicer fish in 35-43 fow. Antifreeze with a gold/green plastic minnow did good for me.

<----<<<

· Registered
14,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had the jig bite going on the river as well last night. I had my limit on the first drift and did C&R waiting for the others to catch up. Ended up putting around 25 in the boat and 18 in the box. Nicer fish in 35-43 fow. Antifreeze with a gold/green plastic minnow did good for me.
View attachment 770445
<----<<<
I'll probably do some more jigging before the end of the weekend. I like covering a lot of water looking for the hot areas, and then pound them hard with a jig until that area goes cold.

· Registered
17,682 Posts
View attachment 770445
<----<<<
Nice job Joe.. change of color for ya ....

Frank no need for a net 14-17"ers! Flip em ! Saves a lot of time

· Registered
953 Posts
View attachment 770445
<----<<<
We were out also and the later it got the bigger the fish,there must be a zillion of the smaller fish,as it was almost constant bites with many misses,then a strike and youd think you missed em,only to realize,crap, i gotta real this in to get this baby off,it is GOOD to know they are there! Nice Job!

· Registered
3,343 Posts
We were out also and the later it got the bigger the fish,there must be a zillion of the smaller fish,as it was almost constant bites with many misses,then a strike and youd think you missed em,only to realize,crap, i gotta real this in to get this baby off,it is GOOD to know they are there! Nice Job!
Also good to see some smaller fish around. We threw som 13-14” fish back this year hoping they make it to next year. I kinda wish they’d bump the size limit up to 14 or 15” to ensure a solid future for a long time to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
3,160 Posts
Also good to see some smaller fish around. We threw som 13-14” fish back this year hoping they make it to next year. I kinda wish they’d bump the size limit up to 14 or 15” to ensure a solid future for a long time to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
After catching so many 18-20” fish there is no way I’d see anyone keeping the 13-14” fish even a 15” fish looks tiny

· Registered
4,405 Posts
I let the small ones go too. A 13 inch perch is awesome. But a 13 inch walleye not so much.
Haven't caught any small ones though so far this year. I think the smallest one was 18". The fish I got yesterday were 21 to 24 inches. No eggs, or milt. I believe they were post spawners.

· Registered
3,804 Posts
A buddy and myself went out yesterday am and caught 7. To a a guy who never fishes the river, it was a blast and fun to brng some fish home! (Except for the 4 bottom bouncers, 4 harnesses and 300 yards of line i lost, lol).

We kept everything over 13". I was looking some freah seafood which my wife and i are having on the grill tonight - cant wait for Cajun walleye!

Ty everyone for sharing their stories and tips, reports on the river. It really helps guys with little to no experience!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.