Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The walleye fishing remains excellent on Saginaw Bay out of Au Gres. Today we kept 25 walleyes and released a bunch more trolling with spoons. Our best spoon was a Moonshine Walleye Spoon in Crab Cakes pattern (silver back), but we also caught some fish on Red Grape and Glow Purple Nose. We were pulling the spoons at 1.8 to 1.9 mph set 70' behind the Church Tackle Walleye Boards. I used 030 Jet Divers to take the spoons down to the fish. This was some of the best fishing we've seen this year and all indications point towards the fishing just getting better and better as the spring turns into summer off Au Gres. We took fish of many different year classes today, which ranged from 5" on up to some real chunkers. The future of this fishery looks outstanding with all the small fish coming up, which will provide world class fishing for the foreseeable future.

Capt. Mike Veine

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks for the report. It has been quiet with the tournament this weekend. I will be up there this weekend fishing in a "friendly tourney". Bragging rights are still pretty big though.

·
Premium Member
29,844 Posts
Once again and always....great detailed report Mike:) Nice job the fish! Hope to find a few of those chunkers on sat.:D:lol:

10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are big tournaments the next two Saturdays at Au Gres. It's going to be very busy the here the next two weeks. The good news is that there are a lot of fish scattered all over. We fished a bunch of different locations and depths today and found fish where ever we went.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Planning on fishing out of Augres on saturday, anybody know what time the tourney starts, would like to get out ahead of them..Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Planning on fishing out of Augres on saturday, anybody know what time the tourney starts, would like to get out ahead of them..Thanks for any info.

if ya arent in the tourney just say something and they will let ya launch ahead of everyone....most everyones really cool about it, dont just wait in the back unless they are launching boats , we have got put off by rain and i have seen people wait not knowing what is going on....p.s. theres only 75 boats maybe dont take long to get everyone out

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
shotgun start at 6:00, they start checking boats a 5:00 so you may be better off waiting untill after 6:00 unless you wanna head out at 3:30!

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
I'm bring up the family for a day of fun fishing out of Au Gres. What ramp is the tournament using, so I can use the other one?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have fun! Nice report Mike. I will be out on the otherside trying to avoid the crowds and do some filming with our products.
Good luck!

10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today we started out hammering out a quick limit for my customers and then I decided to do some experimenting with my limit and ran a Hot N' Tot program for the first time this year. I pulled the Tots close to bottom (where the fish were) and only caught one fish in over one hour of trolling. A couple years ago at this time of the year, Hot N' Tots caught tons of fish in that same deep water location, but something has changed because they wanted nothing to do with them on a day when they were biting good. My tip of the day is to either use spoons or crawlers because they worked better than the crank baits.

Capt. Mike Veine

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Hey Mike... How far back from the divers were you running the spoons? If ya don't mind. PM me if you wish.

Good to see you the other day when I was with Frank.;)

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Mike I've seen the same over here.

Lewy pulled a four man limit the same day I ran out and pulled tots. I only took one fish. He started with spoons and switched to crawlers.

Don't understand it but there it is.

10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike I've seen the same over here.

Lewy pulled a four man limit the same day I ran out and pulled tots. I only took one fish. He started with spoons and switched to crawlers.

Don't understand it but there it is.
What's odd is that spoons are working and Tots aren't.:dizzy:

I never did have any decient action on Hot N' Tots last year until I started fishing shallow water out by the Charities.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
back in the day all we ever ran was cranks,never even owned 1 harness.always done great on them,now i hardly bring plastics with me,better luck on meat than plastics for me,. did better on meat than cranks back in march,figure that one out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts