Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record: After a blow day yesterday with several inches of rain, lighting storms, and a 25+ mph northeast winds pushing giant waves into the Bay, we went out today with a fair forecast predicting light winds and sunny skies. The weatherman though got it totally wrong again as the sun never did show itself all day and the winds were strong from the east with waves in the 2 to 4 foot range all day. The Au Gres River was flooding with extremely muddy conditions and the Bay itself was riles up a lot from yesterdays big-blow. We went to our first spot where we fished on Thursday, but I didn't really mark much there, so we headed to another spot and made one trolling pass there, but only caught a few walleyes in one hours effort. We also caught a bunch of sheephead there, so we picked up lines and moved a few miles to deeper water and marked a fair amount of fish there, but they were scattered from yesterday's storm, so it was a slow pick all day taking the full eight hours of the charter to fill my four client's limits on some nice walleyes. Most of the fish were 16" to 21" with a a few bigger and a few smaller ones. It was an extremely light bite today with more fish lost than caught. The walleyes would just latch on without pulling much to set the hooks and then they would swim along with us on the troll barely making their presence know. Making maters worse, I had to troll very slow today to get much action with speeds of 1.2 mph being necessary. We ran all meat today right on the bottom with bottom bouncers ticking right on the lake bed. We did mark some fish up higher, but couldn't get them to bite much. Color preference was not a factor today as everything got hit about equally. The forecast tomorrow is calling for light winds , but a chance of storms and that type of forecast predominates for the rest of the week. Hopefully we can get all of this next week's trips in as the month of June has been nothing close to summer-like. Even though the conditions are tough, luckily we have the best walleye fishery in the world here, so tough conditions still result in very successful fishing here.

Capt. Mike Veine

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've never been in it but the Augres Harbor Inn is close to the ramp. It had extensive remodeling done in the last year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts