Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the highest buck rated on the virtual buck pole!!!!!!

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading some of the posts as of lately, I am ashamed. I used to be proud to be a member and go to events, but I guess things are changing. THIS isnt for everyone, I have meet and became friends with many, but as of lately this place isnt much fun.

I posted a picture of a hunter shooting a big buck, and got childish remarks, that same thread is on another site and there wasnt ONE single bad comment. They were all positive and congratulations were in order.

I dont know I am done venting for NOW........................

I think, even though this is a public forum, we need to start taking out the trash!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
mich buckmaster said:
That is the highest buck rated on the virtual buck pole!!!!!!

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading some of the posts as of lately, I am ashamed. I used to be proud to be a member and go to events, but I guess things are changing. THIS isnt for everyone, I have meet and became friends with many, but as of lately this place isnt much fun.

I posted a picture of a hunter shooting a big buck, and got childish remarks, that same thread is on another site and there wasnt ONE single bad comment. They were all positive and congratulations were in order.

I dont know I am done venting for NOW........................

I think, even though this is a public forum, we need to start taking out the trash!!!!!!!!!
I am guessing some people go to some and give them low marks to get their other ones higher. . .easy to solve, make all votes public and it would stop. ;)

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Dave,

Simply ignore the bs.

Thats all you can do. Most of us enjoy your posts.

How much snow you guys got out there?

I need to come your way and do some rabbit hunting when the snow lets up a little.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert W. McCoy Jr said:
Dave,

Simply ignore the bs.

Thats all you can do. Most of us enjoy your posts.

How much snow you guys got out there?

I need to come your way and do some rabbit hunting when the snow lets up a little.
Really looking forward to it!! Right now we have 10 inches or so, but hopefully it settles a little. As soon as the weather breaks I will give you a call or PM and we set something up.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well, I for one can't imagine throwing in bogus votes to change the outcome. I mean people, it's a HAT! As for myself, the quality of the buck is a minor part of my rating. I'm more interested in the quality of the photo, the extent to which it reminds me of good times afield, or maybe just puts me "out there" in my mind, and that's the way I voted. If that's the wrong approach, sorry. It does seem the criteria are rather fuzzy, but when I look at the rating scale, from "poor" to "excellent", I think photo quality, not the size of the rack. I'd never rate any deer legally taken as "poor".

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
I was hoping to stay out of the pageant this year, but not having a place to put my pics, I added them so I could tell my story with the aid of pics. I believe we even talked about his prior to the start of the season.

The scores do not reflect the quality of the deer, imo.

My two favorite bucks from our pole:

1) Handling Rules - 14 pt about as good as it gets in Mi.
2) Luv2hunteup - Nice pic, great deer, love the dark rack.

Lot's of other great bucks, too, some over rated, but most underrated.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
It is jealousy plain and simple. I don't vote because I think they are all 10's especially any with the youth hunt success. Congrats to all who are on there and thanks for posting them. I look forward to the pics
AW

·
Registered
690 Posts
The quality of the picture is what gets my attention and vote first and foremost. Big deer are nice but a nice picture sets it off. Then I consider what the hunter went through to bag the trophy.

Maybe for next year we can link the hunter's story to the pic....

As far as the negative comments we've been seeing lately....I think the more we call those people to task the sooner it will end. Policing by the members.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I don't know if the criteria is clear enough....if it is merely about the size of the rack then why bother voting. Somebody can tally up the biggest rack at the end...the 18 point with its tongue hanging out, thrown into the truck amidst the blood, trash bags and bottle returns will beat the 8 point that somebody took the time to clean up and pose etc.

I think it is deplorable if somebody thinks it is appropriate to make negative comments. If you can't be decent how about keeping the ol' pie hole shut?

Abe Lincoln once told me
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

I think it was a fine bit of advice!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Sib
I posted my picture in the just Bucks area so I could post a thread with a picture and my story. I didn't put it in the contest area just a suggestion for the fututre.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It also seems like when the number of views go up on a post, the lower the rating goes. That 13 Point was taken October 1st and I put the pics up the following day. I havent checked that site in a while, but when I saw a 5. something rating for my buck, as with other member's low scores, it just seemed a little unacceptable. I know it's only a hat, but according to these ratings, Rompola's buck wouldnt even come close to a 10! I wonder what kind of rating Tiffany would get if she posted one on that page :lol:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Don't know that I read every comment, but I read quite a few, because I was curious about negative comments, and why anyone would ever think of posting one. I found none, and that's a good thing.

Bvanzalen had a great suggestion above: post a story with the pic. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of reading about other hunters' experiences, and I suspect others do as well. Or maybe this could be a separate category, since it appears that artistic rendering (e.g. quality of pic) is the criteria for voting. And why limit it to buck kills, or kills at all, for that matter? A lot of interesting, humorous, and downright bizarre stuff happens out there, and a lot of the guys who post here appear to be pretty decent writers. And hey, like I said earlier, it's only a hat. If MS can't come up with a giveaway, I'll donate something, just so's I can get a grin, warmed heart, or jaw drop vicariously. Perhaps sufficient just to dub one of our members "Storyteller (or Outright Liar) of the Year." It's a short season, and expanding it to include the recollections of my fellow hunters would suit me fine. Suggest we keep the voting open until maybe March 1, so when we're all holed up in the house deciding if a couple of rabbits or a few bluegills for the pot are worth the effort, we have an alternative.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I agree that a story along with the photo enhances the whole shibang.

Even when I'm visiting OhioSportsman.com I look for the pics with a story.

just my 1/10th of 20cents

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
There is a point in the begining of this thread though. Why does this site seem to have gone so negative this fall? I haven't been around since the begning or anything, but I don't ever remember so much negativity and flaming! every thing gets flamed.. and anyone who shoots a deer less than a 18 inch 8pt is exilled! I shot a beautiful, challenging UP 4 point this year and never mentioned it for fear of getting flamed!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I agree with the negativity and flaming on this forum. I am usually on the bird hunting forum and its quite the opposite of this forum. Everyone is pretty nice, jokes around and I can't remember the last flaming. I came in here in Nov and all I see is flaming. I adding some comments and a post and got ripped a new one so for the past month I just read and keep my mouth shut. Nothing like sharing your first buck story from when you were 15 yrs old and getting attacked for it.:mad:

·
Administrator
35,722 Posts
I also cannot believe that the highest rated bucks are in the 6's. I thought some of the best ones on there should be a 9 and rated them as such. Unfortunately my vote is unable to normalize the others.

·
Registered
35,596 Posts
I've got to agree with alot that has been said here. I didn't look at it as competiton but sharing with others that I have come to know electronically.

I'm in the process of deleting my daughter's and my hunting success pics, sorry if success offended some.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.