Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
Mine weighs a ton! It's 54x54. I used all 2x4's , 1x6 for sheathing and rough sawn cedar for siding capped with a metal roof. The windows are double hung vynil. All on a 5 ft platform made out of 2x6's and deck boards. For one person it's a perfect size and for it's location the height is great. The wind isn't going to blow it over for sure.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I've honestly never tallied it all up. I get the plastic sheeting for $30 a sheet 52-1/2" x 98", 2x2's are $2.50 each and it takes 26, metal corners and roof are $150.00, interior foam sheets 76" X 84" are $35.00 each. Lots so misc fasteners, hinges, 16' of 1" aluminum angle. I'd guess I'll build all (7) for the price of a single Redneck :). I do have quite a bit of time in each one, not only do I build the blinds, but I also build a welded steel base to elevate them with.
Where do you buy your plastic sheeting?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I built this one using 16’ 4x4 post made each side then stood them up securing it with the floor hoist then built the othe walls after it was erected worked great and is sturdy as heck

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I get the plastic sheeting from Total Plastic's in Rochester Hills, I buy foam on-line from The Foam Factory.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
I get the plastic sheeting from Total Plastic's in Rochester Hills, I buy foam on-line from The Foam Factory.
Any problem with mice eatting that foam

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Any problem with mice eatting that foam
I have not, but I try to make the blinds very tight when building them. With that being said, I'm pretty sure the foam isn't mouse resistant.

Reactions: sparky18181

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I must be the only one who doesn't worry about mice in my blind. There's not much I could do about it because there's no windows. I never leave anything for them to chew on except maybe the seat. I even feed them some sunflower seeds if they show up when I am there.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I used 2x3 and angle cut them on a table saw to build a 6x6, 8 sides. The corners are gone, tall skinny windows for bow. 4 main walls are for gun. Used 1/4" lanau or whatever that flooring underlayment is for walls. 2x8 base on 4x6 post with elevator brackets. Windows are wood frames and use cheap glass from Walmart picture frames. Corners were covered with aluminum trim, never painted. Box under floor holds 20lb propane and is only accessible from inside blind.
Issues. Bottom edge of walls wicks water, starting to separate. Going to look for plastic sheeting. Windows swing inward for less motion. This means water leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used 2x3 and angle cut them on a table saw to build a 6x6, 8 sides. The corners are gone, tall skinny windows for bow. 4 main walls are for gun. Used 1/4" lanau or whatever that flooring underlayment is for walls. 2x8 base on 4x6 post with elevator brackets. Windows are wood frames and use cheap glass from Walmart picture frames. Corners were covered with aluminum trim, never painted. Box under floor holds 20lb propane and is only accessible from inside blind.
Issues. Bottom edge of walls wicks water, starting to separate. Going to look for plastic sheeting. Windows swing inward for less motion. This means water leaks.[/QUOTE

I used exterior plywood. The studs are 2x4 cut at 22.5 degree angles. The floor and joists are wolmanized. The windows are 1/4 inch plexiglass with the hinges riveted on them. I used garage door seal strips to seal them up.
It’s tight and movable.
1E35962C-112E-422E-B609-E66BAA128604.jpeg

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m not sure what I did in the above post, because it didn’t come out the way I thought it would! I hope whoever sees it gets the idea. My bad!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I just got a set of prints to build a 6 ft round blind now have to decide whether to make that the inside or outside dimension.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts