Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a flush system 5th wheel. What can I do to lesson the sewer smell that comes up from the pipe/toilet every time that I flush? I was thinking a bit of lime down the hole, would this be a bad idea since it is not an outhouse?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Nine Milly said:
I am on a flush system 5th wheel. What can I do to lesson the sewer smell that comes up from the pipe/toilet every time that I flush? I was thinking a bit of lime down the hole, would this be a bad idea since it is not an outhouse?
Flush System? Do you mean you are hooked up to a complete hook up? If so you shouldn't leave your valve open all the time, use your tank and empty as needed. other wise you run the risk of plugging up your system with paper. You need the added water to guarantee the system to work properly, when you just flush and it runs straight into the outdoor holding tank the paper and solids don't have enough water to make that long journey. And by closing your valve on your Fifth Wheel and using your tank you will stop the Oder from entering your camper from the larger in the ground tank.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,133 Posts
"And by closing your valve on your Fifth Wheel and using your tank you will stop the Oder from entering your camper from the larger in the ground tank"

No trap on trailers/5th wheels. Get some proper tank deodorizering tablets or liquid and use the tank as it was designed (to be filled and "flushed") there are some new generation products that are much less offensive than the old-style deodorizers

Do NOT use lime.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
I wouldn't use lime. I will coagulate things and turn them into concrete. Additives are available if you want to use them. I also wouldn't leave the sewer gate valve open for the toilet. Fill the tank, then empty it in one go. Close the valve and repeat in a few days. Shower and kitchen sink tank valve may be left open to a full hookup, because there are no solids involved.

Two main things regarding smells, are to ensure your tank is empty, and that you have proper venting. Check the plumbing vents in your roof to be sure they are functioning properly. These are not the same as the square vents for normal coach ventilation.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, problem solved. Needed to shut that trap until full. Out of curiousity how much will a typical late model 5th wheeler sewage hold? Is it ok to leave waste in there for a week or more without opening the trap?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If it's been that way for a while you may already have a build up. Might be a good idea to fill 1/2 with water and take it for a pull to shake it up good. You could also use a Flush King from the outside or a hose from inside if it's a straight shot down. Check your manual for capacity. My 28 ft TT is 32 gal. A week or 2 won't hurt a thing. Lots of water before dumping will save you problems later.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
I emtpy the tanks after every trip. Either at the site (full hookups) or at the dump station. If you're in the boonies, then find a place such as a truck stop or similar to dump the tanks before the RV gets returned to its storage place, even if it's in your driveway. Don't like the thought of a black water tank sitting with stuff in it for any length of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts