Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I was 5 yo, remember watching it all on TV, getting Budweiser for my Great Grandma Paris, who said Sitting Bull was her BF

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
What I remember is being in last hour freshman science class and our principal came on the PA to make the announcement just before school getting out. I don't think that I knew he had died until later during basketball practice or maybe it was when I got home. Not sure.
Being raised in a small, rural & Protestant area, JFK was not popular in my community when he got elected. The Cuban missle crisis changed all that.

L & O

·
Banned
5,220 Posts
...remember watching it all on TV.
My fist remembered memory. Watching the aftermath on Television. I was 2 years and sixth months old.

We just moved into a new home and watched it on a 12 inch red T.V. and eating donuts.

At that age I couldn't understand the gravity, tragedy and sadness of it. But it sure cemented in my memory.

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
I was in high school and it was early afternoon as I changed classes to my Bio class one of the girls in the office came out and told me about it. I went on to class and told the teacher Mr. Dagly ab.out it. He went to the office and came back and told the rest of the class.

·
Premium Member
2,036 Posts
I was at work, reading gas meters on Harrison st. In Monroe,Mi. At the time- most meters were still inside the house and I remember a lot of the folks were crying when they answered the door.
Truly- a sad time in our history.

·
Premium Member
30,265 Posts
I was in third grade. The principle came to the classroom and told the teacher, then came on the PA to make the announcement. The teacher ended instruction and talked about it for a bit. School ended a little early that day.

·
Administrator
26,668 Posts
I was in third grade. The principle came to the classroom and told the teacher, then came on the PA to make the announcement. The teacher ended instruction and talked about it for a bit. School ended a little early that day.
I was in seventh grade. Just getting on the bus to leave school. Remember it well.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
25 years ago today my wife and I were at the big house. Ohio couldnt stop Tim B.
and eddie george couldnt find 2nd gear

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I was 16 on a bus headed towards joining my brother and his friend where they worked for a weekend of deer hunting outside of Cheboygan. I believe he was shot after I got on the bus because while driving down Fort St, when people got on, some were crying and others gave me weird looks when they saw the cased rife. I couldn't figure out what was going on until entering my brothers work place his friend Herb told me Kennedy had been killed. Sad day for the country and his deaths repercussions would damage it for many years.

·
Registered
696 Posts
All those years have past and we still don't have all the facts regarding the shooting. All the documents still have not been de-classified

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I was around, but don't remember it. I was probably filling a diaper when the news broke. But I grew up hearing the stories.
Dad woke up for work (afternoon shift) and mom told him the president had been shot in the head. Dad asked what kind of gun, mom said .06 and dad said he's dead. Mom was pissed at him.

As a young child I never wanted to be president or any type of leader. Because they always got killed. JFK, RFK, MLK, MX, and other civil rights leaders. Then LBJ died when I was 9, and I remember dad saying there are now former presidents alive.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Yes, I was in 4th grade then. A very sad day.

I might have to watch PT-109 again. It's been quite a few years.

(Check out my signature).

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,173 Posts
I was a tadpole, but I remember a lot of strife in my first 8 years of life that were the 1960's. TV funerals, the riots, assassinations of RFK & MLK, other shootings and the Vietnam war news. It was a tumultuous time for sure. Frankly we haven't seen anything like it since IMHO.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
While we’re on jfk...
he was a example of the rich and privileged class. How many people know one day he was racing another pt boat into the docks too fast and crashed into the dock damaging the dock and the pt boat and injuring his crew ? Most would have gotten into trouble over that.
Then there’s the sinking of his new pt109. While out on patrol that night, where they were supposed to be looking for and try to sink enemy ships, they got their butts ran over by a Japanese destroyer without firing off a shot. The japs knew they ran over something, but never knew until later it was an American PT boat.
That was completely Kennedy’s fault. They fouled up their engine Without clearing the plugs . Then, they all took a nap. Nobody standing look out or watching the radar ( as I recall, they had those onboard) .
Lucky for them, they made it to an island. The he himself left to find help.
As the CO, he is supposed to stay and order somebody else to go for help.
There’s a couple court martialing offenses in there. But hey, he special.
Let’s not start on screwing up the Cuban massacre. (Bay of pigs)
Planned years in advance, then changing it at the last minute. Promising to have their backs with air support only to nig out.
Which brings us to the Cuban missile crisis..
Why wouldn’t the Russians try putting missile there after a show of weakness?
Sorry guys. I just thought some might want to know

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 17 of 17 Posts