Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Extended family in New York State is selling 57 acres and my siblings want to go in on a family cabin. I like the area near Ellicottville, NY but have no idea how much area that is?

There are grouse and turkeys on the property and lots of deer. A steelhead stream isn’t too far.

Any easy way for me to wrap my head around how big 57 acres is? It’s a 7 plus hour drive to go see it and I’m not sure how to visualize the size of the lot.
Image 23.0671 hectare and you will be pretty darn close. :rolleyes:

I think your seven plus hours is more like 8 plus for you, and that is if they let you go through Canada.

Edit, the biggest brown I ever caught was in western New York.

·
Premium Member
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Upstate NY is beautiful.

I also looked up Ellicottville, NY and there is a ski resort right there too. I would say it is worth the drive.
It’s a really nice area. I spent Friday nights in high school and college skiing at that resort, Holiday Valley. There’s also a steelhead stream, Cattaragus Creek nearby.

My sister lives in Arizona, my brother in Buffalo and I’m in Grand Haven. The cousins selling live in California and are close to my sister. They inherited it but never get there.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
According to legend, one acre is the amount of ground that a man and his mule could plow in one day. The ground is frozen right now, but there is still a way.

Toss that kid of yours on one of those plastic sleds along with a I-Pad loaded full of movies and games, add fifty pounds of snacks and drinks in a cooler, climb into to the harness, and start dragging at sunrise! It would also help if you let him watch that old Yosemite Sam cartoon where he's riding that elephant screaming "Get Up Mule" so he can motivate you. At sunset, you should be able to figure out what the next 56 days are going to get you.

PS - As a side benefit, think of that "Let's Lose Weight" thread.

PSS - Don't forget a Go-Pro so we can all enjoy the video.

·
Premium Member
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
According to legend, one acre is the amount of ground that a man and his mule could plow in one day. The ground is frozen right now, but there is still a way.

Toss that kid of yours on one of those plastic sleds along with a I-Pad loaded full of movies and games, add fifty pounds of snacks and drinks in a cooler, climb into to the harness, and start dragging at sunrise! It would also help if you let him watch that old Yosemite Sam cartoon where he's riding that elephant screaming "Get Up Mule" so he can motivate you. At sunset, you should be able to figure out what the next 56 days are going to get you.

PS - As a side benefit, think of that "Let's Lose Weight" thread.

PSS - Don't forget a Go-Pro so we can all enjoy the video.
That’s funny. :D:bouncy:

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
To get a sense of how big 57 acres is:

Assuming you are roughly 6 feet tall, stretch your arms out as wide as you can.
Start at one spot, walk to where your right hand ends and place your left hand there...and do that 220 times in total.
Turn 90 degrees and do it another 313 times.

You could then turn another 90 degrees and repeat 220 times and then turn 90 degrees and do it another 313 times to get back to where you started....assuming that you are crafty enough to turn 90 degrees in the same direction every time. :)

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
Extended family in New York State is selling 57 acres and my siblings want to go in on a family cabin. I like the area near Ellicottville, NY but have no idea how much area that is?

There are grouse and turkeys on the property and lots of deer. A steelhead stream isn’t too far.

Any easy way for me to wrap my head around how big 57 acres is? It’s a 7 plus hour drive to go see it and I’m not sure how to visualize the size of the lot.
1575 x 1575 (feet)

5280 feet per mile, so a little over 1/3 mile by 1/3 mile if your parcel is square...which is unlikely.

https://www.a2renovation.com/calculator/area/acres/57

·
Premium Member
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Most important is that you situate your shack so you can recycle that high end bourbon off the back porch. Nothing more liberating.
My favorite thing haha. I’m lucky enough to be able to take a leak in the yard without worrying about whether or not I’m exposed.

Every time I sing “you don’t know what you’re missin, until you start pissin outsiiiiiiiiiiiiide!”

·
Premium Member
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Most important is that you situate your shack so you can recycle that high end bourbon off the back porch. Nothing more liberating.
When I was at a fish camp in the middle of nowhere, my bunk was 3 steps from the door to the porch or 20 steps past all other bunks to the bathroom.

It was very liberating. Even saw the northern lights one night. :)

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
One important thing that has been mentioned here on other threads, is that once you have a property like this, you may feel obligated to visit it, when you might rather be flying to one of your adventure destinations or renting a beach house for a week.

I co-owned a cabin on 20 acres near Dublin (Wellston) from approx 87 thru 04. I hated selling it, but I seldom strayed from the Pine, the Big, and the Little.

We bought a Jayco bunkhouse and I almost immediately realized that I like being mobile and spending vacations at various locations on the best coast and in different spots in the northern lower and the UP. And my kids would much rather camp where there is a bunch of other kids and a sandy beach.

Maybe you can afford both without a blink, but in my case, I'm happier being mobile. Still miss the shack sometimes though. Lots of memories.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would get a Plat book for your county, find a comparable property size wise. Get wit the owner and see if you can get permission to check it out.
You can go to Google earth and check out the property for size. Being close to home you might be able to comprehend the size from local roads and land marks.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Screw New York! If I was given property there I’d sell it! Just like California, Beautiful scenery, but!

“One important thing that has been mentioned here on other threads, is that once you have a property like this, you may feel obligated to visit it, when you might rather be flying to one of your adventure destinations or renting a beach house for a week.”

Then there’s this!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just remember that once the boarder opens again it will be a shorter ride. I have had a lot of Northern New Yorkers run over here for farm implements and a classic car.

Reactions: TK81 and OH-YEAH!!!
61 - 80 of 95 Posts