Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard someone on the radio this weekend ask another boat to give him some space because he had a 500 Copper out. So how far behind the boat is that ? I assume 500 Copper means 500 feet of Copper. I expect there is also leader & backer involved. so if a person is running a 500 Copper, how far behind the boat is the 'lure'?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
So, 500 ft of cooper, 20 ft leader, 50 feet backing in the water (you didn't specify) 500+20+50=570. Guessing the 500 ft copper gets about 75 feet deep. Then you will be approx. 565 behind the boat. For all practical purposes your rigs are as far back as the amount of line you have out. How could it be any different?? This of course is the amount of line out before attaching to a DR or a planer board.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
500 copper will go down to about 150 ft at 2 mph
Per Blood Run Tackle's App, 500ft of copper will get the follow depths:
------2.0 .......2.5
32#: 115' .....82'
45#: 125' .....87'
60#: 137 ' .....87'

There must be a point of diminishing returns based on speed between the 45# and 65# (see depths @ 2.5mph).

·
Registered
70 Posts
------2.0 .......2.5

There must be a point of diminishing returns based on speed between the 45# and 65# (see depths @ 2.5mph).
------2.0 .......2.5

I'd rather buy salmon at a grocery store than crank one in on a 500 copper. It's called "sportfishing."

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
------2.0 .......2.5

------2.0 .......2.5

I know from personal experience that my 450 45# copper drags bottom in 140 ft of water @ 2 mph regardless of what blood runs chart shows .

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
------2.0 .......2.5

45lb vs. 60lb, the heavier line sinks faster but, at higher speeds the line diameter causes more drag lifting the rig. Same argument for the 32lb vs. 45lb, at long lengths they are very similar with the thinner line cutting through the water better.

I've sworn my 300's would go down 80' on a straight troll, so many variables with current, speed, lure/flashers, etc...

I think the only advantage you would get with the 60lb copper is shorter lengths to achieve the same depths with lighter copper. I think it would be a pain to run, every turn you would have to keep it moving and clearing divers could be an issue!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know what we can do. Let's all mount 12V winches on our transoms. Put 3/8s to 3/4 inch cable on the spools. If you only want the filets, connect to the battery. If you want to tire out the fisherman on the boat, make them wind it in manually. For you lite tackle fans, use an ATV winch. Normal guys use a pick-up winch. Hard core meat hunters use tow-truck winders.....

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Most guys are giving a hard time to friends in other boats. We do it every week. Told a fellow capt to give me room because we had a fish on a rigger. He was 200 yards away. Gotta take radio chatter with a bit of imagination. Some legit some not. However a 2 years ago we were on a lake trout hunt and we had a 700 copper running out the shoot almost every trip at some point in the day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A 700 for lake trout? Now that's sportfishing at its finest. Not quite. I once fished for swordfish on the bottom in 1800 feet of water with a 16 pound sinker. Caught one, too! But a 700 copper for a trout?

·
Registered
331 Posts
A 700 for lake trout? Now that's sportfishing at its finest. Not quite. I once fished for swordfish on the bottom in 1800 feet of water with a 16 pound sinker. Caught one, too! But a 700 copper for a trout?
Do what you gotta do to win Tournaments

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
If it catches a fish, why complain? I fished the ocean a few times as well. Reels are geared a bit differently and many are 12v or dc

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
45lb vs. 60lb, the heavier line sinks faster but, at higher speeds the line diameter causes more drag lifting the rig. Same argument for the 32lb vs. 45lb, at long lengths they are very similar with the thinner line cutting through the water better.

I've sworn my 300's would go down 80' on a straight troll, so many variables with current, speed, lure/flashers, etc...

I think the only advantage you would get with the 60lb copper is shorter lengths to achieve the same depths with lighter copper. I think it would be a pain to run, every turn you would have to keep it moving and clearing divers could be an issue!
I got some 60#, imo problem with shorter lenghts to go deeper is that the thicker copper still takes up more reel space you could have achieved with longer 45#. Perhaps less reeling though. I think it has its place from 200 feet to 500 feet if you agree with bloodruns chart to be a significant difference. I cant say id buy it again, but i needed some in a pinch. Not a fan of bloodrun anyway. Have had and heard many more coppers just breaking in random places throughout a spool

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I got some 60#, imo problem with shorter lenghts to go deeper is that the thicker copper still takes up more reel space you could have achieved with longer 45#. Perhaps less reeling though. I think it has its place from 200 feet to 500 feet if you agree with bloodruns chart to be a significant difference. I cant say id buy it again, but i needed some in a pinch. Not a fan of bloodrun anyway. Have had and heard many more coppers just breaking in random places throughout a spool
I have tried them all Morgan, Howie, Opti, and Bloodrun, seem to prefer the Howie and Morgan copper. I think all the copper is actually only 20lb break strength.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
A tournament is one thing, but I think most of us on the forum are weekend warriors. if I need to run 500 - 700 CU to catch lake trout, I will go golfing instead.
I rather see those guys golfing than get in the way or hear them complain about going 1 for 2 every trip.
And those guys are the first to complain they are not catching fish, burned fuel and wasted the day. People are running lead of riggers, hand lining 20-50 leaders on divers, blowing all sorts of money on tx44s and tackle to catch spooky kings. Its a lot of work and by far has always been cheaper to buy fish than buy a boat to get them. So if thats your argument, many guys should stay at home and sell their rigs. A extra few feet of copper or whatever you may rig to get a bite is part of the game not only to tournament fisherman, but weekenders as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
WOW SS, so your one of those guys...good luck to ya'
My wife, kids and I fish for enjoyment so we will try to stay out of "the real fisherman's way"
I never complain about a 1-2 day, but I also don't brag about a 7-8, it is what it is. I don't run copper or lead and have not been skunked this year (yet)???

·
Registered
331 Posts
WOW SS, so your one of those guys...good luck to ya'
My wife, kids and I fish for enjoyment so we will try to stay out of "the real fisherman's way"
I never complain about a 1-2 day, but I also don't brag about a 7-8, it is what it is. I don't run copper or lead and have not been skunked this year (yet)???
I fish for enjoyment too...but when i don't catch fish its less enjoyable. I do what i do to catch some fish....if that means running a 700 copper so be it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts